Leyton Orient 4-0 Bolton Wanderers

  • October 31, 2020 | By Chris Mann
  • URL Short URL: http://b-ac.es/d2047

Halloween quickly turned into a nightmare for Bolton, who were beaten 4-0 by Leyton Orient at the Breyer Group Stadium.

Having survived a scare in the opening minute when Billy Crellin stopped a Danny Johnson penalty - one which he had also conceded - Wanderers fell behind in the 8th minute when Johnson made amends for his earlier miss by bundling home from close range.

Jobi McAnuff doubled Orient's advantage with a free-kick four minutes before the break, before Conor Wilkinson came back to haunt his former club three minutes later with another set-play from distance.

Craig Clay completed the scoring shortly before the hour to round off an impressive afternoon for the home side, leaving the Trotters shell-shocked as they left the field in the capital.

After picking up a first home victory of the season against Bradford City on Tuesday, Wanderers boss Ian Evatt named an unchanged side for the Trotters' first trip to the Brisbane Road since September 1997.

With things beginning to look up for Wanderers on the field in recent weeks, an air of optimism had started to return. That all went out of the window inside just 17 seconds, however, as Johnson pounced on a weak pass from Alex Baptiste to find himself one-on-one with Crellin, who brought the Orient forward down as he looked to found the goalkeeper and leaving referee Brett Huxtable with no option put to point to the spot.

Johnson took responsibility for the penalty but Crellin, just as he did against Bradford in midweek, guessed correctly to make the save - keeping the score at 0-0.

Bolton settled into possession and were given their first sight of goal with five minutes on the clock, but Arthur Gnahoua's effort lacked the power required to take the ball over the line after he had fed it beyond Lawrence Vigouroux in the O's goal.

The hosts were ahead on eight minutes as James Brophy stepped away from two defenders before seeing a low cross turned home from close range by Johnson, who had stolen in ahead of Ricardo Santos.

Wanderers should have levelled five minutes later as Nathan Delfouneso got away down the right-hand side before crossing for Harry Brockbank, who somehow headed over from inside the six-yard box with the ball calling out to be tapped in with his foot.

Delfouneso required treatment for an apparent hamstring injury in the immediate aftermath of that move and despite his best attempts to continue, was replaced by Ronan Darcy with less than 20 minutes played.

Darcy's introduction was felt immediately, as he combined with Brockbank before picking out Andrew Tutte. His cross to the far post found an unmarked Peter Kioso, whose first-time volley flew into the side netting.

With a little under half-an-hour on the clock, Orient should have doubled their lead as Crellin fumbled a cross whilst under pressure, but Delaney got back in just enough time to clear the ball off the line and spare his goalkeeper's blushes.

Tutte fired high into the stand as Bolton hit back at the other end, before Brockbank saw a goalbound strike charged down.

The home side doubled their advantage four minutes before the break as veteran midfielder McAnuff curled a delightful free-kick into the top corner from 25 yards, just three minutes before former Wanderers forward Wilkinson did exactly the same as Orient cruised into a 3-0 lead going into the break.

Frustrated with what he had seen in the opening 45 minutes, Evatt made a double substitution at the start of the second period as Liam Gordon and Tom White came on in place of Baptiste and Tutte, meaning the visitors had used their full allocation of permitted changes.

Within five minutes of the restart, McAnuff, who had earlier scored from a free-kick, stood over another set-play. This time, luck was on Crellin's side as he just managed to adjust his feet in time to claim a deflected effort.

Crellin was beaten again before the hour, though, as Clay was afforded too much time and space 25 yards from goal to bend a brilliant strike into the top corner to make it 4-0.

A rare venture forward for Bolton saw Gordon head wide as he got on the end of a cross from Kioso on 63 minutes before the same provider teed up Crawford, whose first-time strike was blocked by a defender.

Crawford tried again as the watch entered the final 10 minutes, seeing a bouncing attempt from distance parried behind awkwardly by Vigouroux, while one final effort for the visitors saw Darcy slice horribly wide of the target to sum up Wanderers' day in a moment.

The final whistle brought an end to a horrendous day for Evatt's side, who drop to 19th place ahead of Tuesday's home clash against winless and managerless Mansfield Town.

Leyton Orient: Vigouroux, Akinola, Coulson, Happe, Widdowson, McAnuff (Wright 69), Cisse, Clay, Wilkinson (Maguire-Drew 84), Johnson, Brophy (Dennis 76)
Subs Not Used: Sargeant, Dayton, Turley, Kyprianou
Goals: Johnson 8, McAnuff 41, Wilkinson 44, Clay 57

Bolton Wanderers: Crellin, Delaney, Santos, Baptiste (Gordon 45), Brockbank, Tutte (White 45), Sarcevic, Kioso, Crawford, Gnahoua, Delfouneso (Darcy 19)
Subs Not Used: Comley, Hickman, Mascoll, Greenidge
Booked: Sarcevic, Santos, White

Referee: Brett Huxtable

Football betting site Betway

Sky Bet League Two Standings

Pos Team Pld Pts
4 Tranmere Rovers 31 54
5 Morecambe 32 52
6 Bolton Wanderers 32 50
7 Salford City 31 49
8 Newport County 31 48
View Full Standings >>


Who is Bolton's 2018/19 Player of the Year?
34.62% Gary O'Neil
19.38% David Wheater
18.92% Pawel Olkowski
9.27% Joe Williams
5.33% Jason Lowe
4.13% Sammy Ameobi
2.85% Josh Magennis
2.75% Mark Beevers
1.19% Jack Hobbs
1.01% Ben Alnwick
0.28% Andrew Taylor
0.28% Craig Noone