Bolton Wanderers 0-1 Plymouth Argyle

  • November 09, 2019 | By Chris Mann
  • URL Short URL:

Callum McFadzean scored the only goal as Plymouth Argyle advanced in the FA Cup with victory at the University of Bolton Stadium.

McFadzean scored the decisive goal with 11 minutes on the clock, lashing home off the underside of the crossbar after Wanderers had failed to deal with a ball into the box.

Defeat means the Trotters exit at the first-round stage of the competition for the first time in 30 years, having progressed into the third round or beyond in every campaign since losing to Blackpool in 1989.

After racking up a third consecutive win with a 2-1 success at home to Fleetwood Town last time out, Keith Hill made just one change to the side as Sonny Graham returned in midfield at the expense of Thibaud Verlinden.

Wanderers started brightly, with both Joe Dodoo and Chris O'Grady having early sighters, while excellent defending from the visitors denied Daryl Murphy a certain goal as he looked to pounce on a cross from Josh Emmanuel.

Despite that early onslaught of pressure, the hosts found themselves behind on 11 minutes as the Pilgrims took the lead with their first attack of the game.

A move involving Joel Grant and Byron Moore looked to have been phased out but slack defending allowed the ball to roll through to McFadzean, who lashed beyond Remi Matthews to make it 1-0 with some assistance from the underside of the crossbar.

Plymouth almost doubled their lead four minutes later, with Matthews at full stretch to tip away a bending strike from Danny Mayor, while Grant was next to be denied by the former Argyle stopper as the Trotters suddenly found themselves on the back foot.

A misplaced backpass from Daryl Murphy then put Moore clean through on goal, but Matthews stood tall to make a vital stop and ensure the deficit remained at one.

Dodoo fired wide after latching on to a knockdown from Daryl Murphy on the half-hour, while further efforts from Luke Murphy, Dodoo and O'Grady all passed by without Alex Palmer's goal being seriously threatened.

Half-hearted appeals for a penalty were turned down by referee Robert Lewis when Luke Murphy flicked the ball against an Argyle defender in the latter stages of the half - one which came to an end with the visitors in control of a 1-0 scoreline.

There were no changes as the players returned for the second half, which began with Dodoo stinging the fingers of Palmer as he volleyed a cross from Graham towards goal.

The momentum continued, with O'Grady next to force Palmer into a save from the edge of the box, moments before Niall Canavan rolled an effort wide at the other end for Plymouth.

After a 10-minute period of relative inactivity, Josh Grant headed over with 20 minutes remaining for the visitors, while the final chance of the afternoon saw O'Grady glance a header across the face of the Argyle six-yard box with nobody alert to tap home an equaliser.

Plymouth would go on to book their place in round two, leaving Bolton to focus on remaining in League One over the course of the coming months.

Bolton Wanderers: Matthews, Chicksen (Earl 55), Wright, Zouma, Emmanuel, L Murphy, Graham (Politic 66), Lowe, O'Grady, Dodoo, D Murphy (Hall 71)
Subs Not Used: Alexander, Weir, Darcy, Senior
Booked: L Murphy

Plymouth Argyle: Palmer, Wootton, Canavan, Sawyer, Grant, Sarcevic, Edwards, Mayor, McFadzean, Moore (Telford 90+2), Grant (Clarke 76)
Subs Not Used: Cooper, Aimson, Taylor, Randell, Cooper
Goals: McFadzean 11

Referee: Robert Lewis
Attendance: 6,992

Football betting site Betway

Sky Bet League One Standings

Pos Team Pld Pts
19 Rochdale 34 36
20 AFC Wimbledon 35 35
21 Tranmere Rovers 34 32
22 Southend United 35 19
23 Bolton Wanderers 34 14
View Full Standings >>


Who is Bolton's 2018/19 Player of the Year?
34.62% Gary O'Neil
19.38% David Wheater
18.92% Pawel Olkowski
9.27% Joe Williams
5.33% Jason Lowe
4.13% Sammy Ameobi
2.85% Josh Magennis
2.75% Mark Beevers
1.19% Jack Hobbs
1.01% Ben Alnwick
0.28% Andrew Taylor
0.28% Craig Noone