Queens Park Rangers 1-2 Bolton Wanderers

  • March 30, 2019 | By Chris Mann
  • URL Short URL: http://b-ac.es/43087

Bolton put themselves back in contention for Championship survival, after picking up a 2-1 victory at Queens Park Rangers.

Goals in each half from Will Buckley and Callum Connolly saw Wanderers take all three points from their trip to the capital, although Nahki Wells did set up a tense finale at Loftus Road when he halved the home side's deficit with nine minutes remaining.

The win puts Phil Parkinson's side within five points of 21st-placed Millwall - who were beaten at Leeds United - ahead of a crunch clash at the University of Bolton Stadium next weekend between the Trotters and basement club Ipswich Town.

Two weeks since suffering a humiliating 5-2 defeat at Wigan Athletic, Wanderers lined up with three changes as Jack Hobbs, Jason Lowe and Clayton Donaldson all dropped out - David Wheater, Pawel Olkowski and Sammy Ameobi the trio to replace them.

It had been eight long years since Bolton had won at Loftus Road, with a 4-0 victory in August 2011 putting them atop the Premier League table on the opening day of a campaign which would ultimately end in relegation.

With the action underway in 2019's meeting, it was Rangers who created the first shooting opportunity as Luke Freeman volleyed wide from just inside the box.

Ameobi was the first to try his luck for the visitors, bringing Joe Lumley into a comfortable save from distance, moments before a cross from Angel Rangel at the other end rolled across the six-yard box and away to safety.

Remi Matthews was called into action for the first time on 21 minutes, racing off his line to deny Bright Osayi-Samuel a clear run on goal, 60 seconds before Josh Scowen struck the outside of the post with a first-time strike that had the Wanderers goalkeeper rooted to the spot.

Matthews appeared to be beaten again three minutes later, with a bending free-kick from Freeman flashing just wide of the post.

Bolton then came close to breaking the deadlock on the half-hour, with Josh Magennis beating the offside trap before laying the ball off to Gary O'Neil. The veteran midfielder rolled it back for Olkowski, whose curling effort from the edge of the box went inches wide.

The home side were back on the attack moments later, however, with Freeman reacting well to keep out a volley from Freeman.

The opening goal arrived on 35 minutes, though, and it fell the way of the Trotters as a looping header from Magennis had Lumley scrambling back towards goal, where Buckley was alert to poke the ball over the line from close range.

Tomer Hemed headed over as Rangers looked to respond before the break, but it was Bolton who took their one-goal advantage into the interval.

There were no changes in personnel as the players returned for the second-half, which began with Osayi-Samuel holding off the attention of Olkowski and Wheater before forcing a save out of Matthews.

Toni Leistner headed over from a Freeman corner on 52 minutes, but it was Bolton who came closer to doubling their lead when a low cross from Ameobi was just too far ahead of both Magennis and Buckley as the clock reached the hour.

Bolton were agonisingly close to doubling their lead midway through the half as an Ameobi cross from the right found Buckley at the far post, but his first-time attempt from inside the six-yard box came back off the underside of the crossbar before being cleared to safety.

It was 2-0 four minutes later though, with Ameobi once again heavily involved. His shot from the edge of the box was parried back into dangerous territory by Lumley, where Connolly had gambled to tap into the unguarded net from close range.

Rangers looked to hit back immediately, only to be denied as Jake Bidwell was thwarted by Matthews, shortly before the goalkeeper produced an outstanding double stop to keep out Wells and Osayi-Samuel in quick succession.

Bidwell fired over as the hosts increased their pressure, which paid off with 81 minutes played as Wells escaped two challenges before sending a curling effort into the far corner to make it 2-1.

The R's failed to build on that momentum, with Matthews making one last save from Massimo Luongo as Wanderers saw out five minutes of stoppage time to claim a fourth away league victory of the season.

The three points move them to within five points of Millwall in the battle against relegation, ahead of a home clash with bottom-club Ipswich Town next Saturday.

Queens Park Rangers: Lumley, Rangel (Smith 62), Hall (Leistner 49), Lynch, Bidwell, Wszolek, Luongo, Scowen, Freeman, Osayi-Samuel, Hemed (Wells 70)
Subs Not Used: Ingram, Furlong, Cousins, Eze
Goals: Wells 81

Bolton Wanderers: Matthews, Taylor, Beevers, Wheater, Olkowski, Buckley (Noone 80), Connolly, J Williams, O'Neil, Ameobi (Donaldson 89), Magennis
Subs Not Used: Alnwick, Little, Oztumer, Wilson, Connell
Booked: Connolly
Goals: Buckley 35, Connolly 71

Referee: Geoff Eltringham
Attendance: 13,603

Sky Bet League One Standings

Pos Team Pld Pts
13 Accrington Stanley 27 36
14 Charlton Athletic 27 33
15 Bolton Wanderers 26 32
16 Lincoln City 26 31
17 Cheltenham Town 27 31
View Full Standings >>


Who is Bolton's 2020/21 Player of the Year?
56.86% Ricardo Santos
17.79% Matt Gilks
10.64% Alex Baptiste
9.94% Eoin Doyle
2.52% Antoni Sarcevic
1.54% Gethin Jones
0.42% Nathan Delfouneso
0.28% Ryan Delaney