Bolton Wanderers 1-2 Charlton Athletic

  • January 28, 2017 | By Chris Mann
  • URL Short URL:

Patrick Bauer and Nathan Byrne were on target as Charlton Athletic, who played 79 minutes with ten men, came from behind to win 2-1 at Bolton.

The Addicks were left a man short inside 11 minutes, as Lewis Page was dismissed for a professional foul on Josh Vela, and they went behind from the resulting free-kick after Zach Clough picked out the top corner of Declan Rudd's net.

Charlton were level midway through the half, however, as Bauer stooped to head home unopposed from a free-kick, before the turnaround was complete in first-half stoppage time as Byrne capped a counter-attack by slotting under the body of Ben Alnwick.

Bolton dominated the second half but didn't have the necessary quality to break through a stubborn eight-man backline, as Wanderers suffered back-to-back home defeats for the first time under Phil Parkinson.

After their game at Southend United was postponed last weekend due to a frozen pitch, Wanderers made their first outing in 11 days with Parkinson naming an unchanged side to the one that started the FA Cup third-round replay defeat at Crystal Palace.

There was little in terms of goalmouth action in the early exchanges, but that all changed inside 11 minutes at the Macron as Vela latched on to a ball upfield from Alnwick before being taken down by Page. As he was the last man, referee Robert Jones had little option but to brandish a red card and leave the Addicks a man short.

Clough took responsibility for the free-kick that followed and expertly picked out the top corner for a career-best ninth goal of the campaign.

He should have doubled that advantage on 20 minutes, getting on the end of a cross from Andrew Taylor but failing to direct his volley on target, shortly before Charlton got themselves on level terms in controversial circumstances.

The visitors were awarded a free-kick on the left flank when there appeared to be little to no contact to warrant a foul. From the dead ball situation, Jake Forster-Caskey whipped the ball deep into the Wanderers box where Bauer was left unmarked to head home the equaliser.

Bolton almost went in front for a second time on 26 minutes when a deflected cross from Taylor came back off the post, while Vela headed straight at Rudd from the next attack as the hosts looked to capitalise on their man advantage.

Joe Aribo and Jay Spearing were denied at either end as the half ticked to a close, before Charlton took a shock lead into the interval by scoring, again in controversial fashion, in first-half stoppage time.

Forster-Caskey began a counter-attack inside his own half before sliding the ball through to Byrne. After evading a challenge from Mark Beevers, he appeared to handle the ball before closing down on Alnwick and slotting home under the goalkeeper's body, ensuring the visitors took a 2-1 lead into the break.

There was one change to the Bolton side that emerged for the start of the second period, as Max Clayton replaced Tom Thorpe, who had taken a blow to the thigh in the latter stages of the opening 45 minutes.

Clayton's introduction saw him take up a place on the left-hand side, as Clough moved into the middle and Vela dropped into holding midfield alongside Spearing.

The substitute was involved in Wanderers' first attack after the restart, crossing to the far post where James Henry headed wide after rising well inside the penalty area.

Taylor then found himself in unfamiliar territory, working his way into the Charlton area before seeing a shot charged down, shortly before Madine headed straight at Rudd as he got on the end of a corner from Spearing.

Bolton dominated possession inside the final half-hour, but lacked the desired quality to breakdown the Charlton backline. With Lee Novak providing a one-man attack, the Addicks left their remaining eight outfield players to defend, a task they stuck to with ease.

Shortly after Clough had shot straight into the arms of Rudd, substitute Conor Wilkinson suffered the same fate after he had got on the end of a knockdown from Clayton before sending a tame effort towards goal.

Jamie Proctor was introduced for the final eight minutes, with Beevers sacrificed in an attempt to land that elusive equaliser, but Bolton still failed to seriously trouble the Addicks defence - with Rudd comfortably claiming numerous corners and slowing the game down each time the ball went out of play.

A combination of Madine and Proctor headed wide in the final minute of normal time, as Bolton did eventually get in behind, while the former twice shot wide in added time as Wanderers' efforts counted for nothing.

A frustrated Macron crowd voiced their displeasure at the full-time whistle, as the Trotters' hunt for automatic promotion continues to stutter, after a third successive defeat in all competitions extended their winless run to five games.

Bolton return to action next Saturday, when they hit the road for an away match at Milton Keynes Dons.

Bolton Wanderers: Alnwick, A Taylor, Beevers (Proctor 82), Wheater, Wilson, Thorpe (Clayton 46), Spearing, Henry (Wilkinson 71), Vela, Clough, Madine
Subs Not Used: Turner, Moxey, Osede, Trotter
Booked: Beevers, Vela
Goals: Clough 13

Charlton Athletic: Rudd, Byrne (Holmes 81), Solly, Bauer, Page, Crofts, Forster-Caskey, Konsa, Aribo (Jackson 90), Chicksen, Watt (Novak 63)
Subs Not Used: Dasilva, Ajose, Mitov, Dijksteel
Booked: Forster-Caskey, Watt
Sent Off: Page
Goals: Bauer 23, Byrne 45+2

Referee: Robert Jones
Attendance: 13,265

Sky Bet League One Standings

Pos Team Pld Pts
1 Accrington Stanley 0 0
2 Barnsley 0 0
3 Bolton Wanderers 0 0
4 Bristol Rovers 0 0
5 Burton Albion 0 0
View Full Standings >>


Who is Bolton's 2021/22 Player of the Year?
32.58% Oladapo Afolayan
30.96% Gethin Jones
21.72% Ricardo Almeida Santos
5.51% Declan John
4.05% Kieran Lee
3.08% MJ Williams
1.78% Joel Dixon
0.32% George Johnston