Bolton Wanderers 1-1 Southend United

  • September 03, 2016 | By Chris Mann
  • URL Short URL:

Keshi Anderson scored a debut goal, as Bolton came from behind to draw 1-1 with Southend United at Macron Stadium.

Trailing to a 3rd-minute opener from Harry Kyprianou, Anderson levelled three minutes after the break when Southend goalkeeper Ted Smith fumbled the ball in off the back of the Wanderers forward.

Bolton laid siege on the visiting goal as the second period progressed, but were ultimately left frustrated in their efforts to find a winner and were made to settle for a point, one which Phil Brown, who was sent to the stands in the closing stages, would have been happy to claim as he continues to fight for his future as United boss.

After being forced into several changes for the midweek Checkatrade Trophy defeat to Everton U23, Wanderers manager Phil Parkinson reverted back to a similar side to the one that drew at Charlton Athletic last weekend.

Anderson and James Henry were handed debuts following their deadline day arrivals, with Jamie Proctor and the injured Mark Davies the ones to drop out from that game at The Valley. Fellow signings Ben Alnwick, Sammy Ameobi and Tom Thorpe were all named amongst the substitutes.

On a wet and windy afternoon at the Macron, Bolton were slow to start and found themselves a goal behind inside three minutes when Kyprianou volleyed home unopposed at the far post after being picked out by a pin-point cross from John White.

Wanderers went in search of an immediate equaliser and it would have arrived, but for a goalbound header from David Wheater being inadvertently blocked on the line by Anderson before being cleared to safety by Ryan Leonard.

Referee Sebastian Stockbridge then turned down two separate penalty appeals, as Anderson and then Gary Madine both went down inside the Southend box, while Jay Spearing fired off-target from 30 yards as the hosts tried to find a way through.

The visitors were forced into a change on 20 minutes, as Anton Ferdinand fell victim to a hamstring injury and had to be replaced by Jakub Sokolik.

Madine headed narrowly over once the ball had returned to play, while Simon Cox's dipping half-volley just cleared the crossbar at the other end as Mark Howard backpedalled to his line.

Madine headed over again as the clock reached the half-hour, moments before both he and Anderson pounced on a mistake from Smith in the Southend goal, only to see an effort cleared off the line by Sokolik.

Anderson saw a shot charged down with 10 minutes of the half remaining, before penalty appeals for a challenge on Madine went unheard as he looked to lash home a rebound.

Henry and Wheater fired wide in the closing stages of the opening period, while Liam Trotter headed straight at Smith as Bolton went in at the break trailing by a goal to nil.

There were no further changes to either side at the start of the second half, which began with Wanderers issuing a warning sign when Anderson raced clear and shooting wide from a narrow angle.

Anderson had the ball in the net 60 seconds later, however, as his pressure forced Smith into fumbling the ball down on to the on-loan Crystal Palace forward and into the net as Bolton levelled the score at 1-1.

Jay Spearing fired over on the hour as he reacted quickest to a rebound, before the hosts were forced into their first change of the afternoon when Madine limped off to be replaced by Proctor.

His impact was instant, as he forced Smith into a save with a powerful header before seeing a follow-up volley blocked by Leonard.

Spearing, Henry and Anderson all fired wide as the home side continues to barrage the Southend goal without success, before Leonard cleared off the line again as Proctor flicked a throw-in from Dean Moxey beyond a stranded Smith.

Bolton's hard work was almost undone when a short back-pass from Wheater forced Howard into a scrambling clearance with 20 minutes to play, shortly before appeals for a penalty were turned down when Mooxey went to ground under a challenge from Mark Beevers.

Smith had looked shaky in the Southend goal throughout, but produced an outstanding save to tip a free-kick from Spearing behind for a corner on 80 minutes.

Play was halted in the closing stages, as the referee ran over to the away dugout. With Brown protesting against a challenge on Leonard, Stockbridge had no hesitation in sending the one-time Bolton captain, coach and assistant manager into the stands.

Wanderers had a superb chance to win the game in the final minute of normal time, but substitute Andrew Taylor couldn't direct his effort on target after he raced on to a chipped pass from Ameobi.

Ameobi saw an effort of his own deflect behind inside three added minutes for stoppages, while Josh Vela and Proctor both missed the target with headers as Southend, who had two players booked for time wasting, somehow left Macron Stadium with a point.

Bolton remain top of the League One table after extending their unbeaten league start to six games, their best since 2000/01, and return to action next Saturday when Milton Keynes Dons are the visitors.

Bolton Wanderers: Howard, Buxton, Beevers, Wheater, Moxey (A Taylor 83), Henry (Ameobi 78), Vela, Spearing, Trotter, Anderson, Madine (Proctor 65)
Subs Not Used: Alnwick, C Taylor, Wilson, Thorpe
Booked: Spearing
Goals: Anderson 48

Southend United: Smith, White, Thompson, Ferdinand (Sokolik 22), Barrett, Kyprianou, Leonard, King, Atkinson, Mooney (McGlashan 84), Cox (Williams 67)
Subs Not Used: Oxley, O'Neill, Bridge, Matsuzaka
Booked: Smith, Leonard
Goals: Kyprianou 3

Referee: Sebastian Stockbridge
Attendance: 13,519

Sky Bet League One Standings

Pos Team Pld Pts
1 Accrington Stanley 0 0
2 Barnsley 0 0
3 Bolton Wanderers 0 0
4 Bristol Rovers 0 0
5 Burton Albion 0 0
View Full Standings >>


Who is Bolton's 2021/22 Player of the Year?
32.58% Oladapo Afolayan
30.96% Gethin Jones
21.72% Ricardo Almeida Santos
5.51% Declan John
4.05% Kieran Lee
3.08% MJ Williams
1.78% Joel Dixon
0.32% George Johnston