Charlton Athletic 1-1 Bolton Wanderers

  • August 27, 2016 | By Chris Mann
  • URL Short URL:

Bolton's perfect start to the season came to an end, but they remain unbeaten and atop the League One table after a 1-1 draw at Charlton Athletic.

Wanderers went ahead shortly after the break at The Valley, as Gary Madine tapped home from a Liam Trotter cross, but the hosts took a share of the spoils when substitute Ademola Lookman's deflected strike found a way past a stranded Mark Howard in the final minute of normal time.

The major talking point after the game, however, will surround the fitness of Mark Davies, after he was stretchered off early in the second half with what appeared to be a serious looking knee injury.

Phil Parkinson made one change to the side that started the win against Fleetwood Town last time out, as fit-again Jamie Proctor returned at the expense of Zach Clough, who missed out with a hamstring injury.

Two new faces also appeared amongst the substitutes, with Tom Walker back in place of Derik Osede, while Jake Turner was given his first experience of a first-team matchday after Ben Amos completed a loan move to Cardiff City.

It was a slow start for both sides once the action got underway, with the first chance falling the way of the hosts in the 12th minute as Mark Howard was required to deny Nicky Ajose at point-blank range, after he had been slipped through by Ricky Holmes.

Wanderers responded brightly and forged a shooting opportunity of their own moments later, but Josh Vela couldn't keep his effort on target after a neat move which also involved Proctor.

Vela was involved again at the midway point of the half, with his cross inches away from connecting with both Proctor and Madine, before play was halted to allow the Addicks to make the game's first substitution - with Patrick Bauer coming on for the seemingly injured Johnnie Jackson.

Chris Solly unleashed a long-range effort for Charlton just before the half-hour, with Dean Moxey putting his body on the line to make the block, shortly before Ajose raced clear of the Bolton backline and fired a shot into the side netting of Howard's goal.

Moxey became the first player to have his name taken by referee Dean Whitestone with 10 minutes of the half to play, as he slid in late on Holmes, before Wanderers received a major let off when Jason Pearce somehow headed wide from inside the six-yard box as he rose unmarked to meet a free-kick.

The final chance of the half went to the visitors, as David Wheater got up to meet a Jay Spearing corner. His effort was destined for the net, but Solly cleared the ball off the line and behind via the aid of the crossbar to ensure the sides went in goalless at the break.

There were no changes to either side at the start of the second period, but Bolton were forced into an early swap when play was halted for a potentially serious injury to Davies.

Davies, who has a history of long-term knee issues, appeared to buckle when coming out of a challenge and immediately went to ground. After several minutes of on-field treatment from medical personnel of both clubs, Davies was given oxygen and departed on a stretcher to a standing ovation, with Chris Taylor on to replace him.

Once play had resumed, it took Wanderers just two minutes to take the lead. Trotter chased down a loose ball and cut inside from the left, before laying it across for Madine to tap home from six yards and break the deadlock.

Charlton then enjoyed large spells of possession, but struggled to break down a stubborn visiting defence.

In fact, it was Bolton who looked the more likely goalscorers and they were denied a penalty when Lewis Buxton went down inside the box with 15 minutes to go, with referee Whitestone opting to award a goal-kick instead.

Chances were few and far between as the clock ticked down, with Josh Magennis heading over with perhaps Charlton's best chance.

Magennis sent a looping header into the waiting arms of Howard in the final minute of normal time, but the Addicks were level moments later as an innocuous strike from Lookman took a deflection before finding a way past Howard to bring the score back to 1-1.

Seven minutes of time were added for stoppages, largely due to the earlier injury to Davies, and despite having the better of the play, Charlton were unable to carve out any further chances on the Bolton goal, as the game ended all square.

A point in the capital may have brought Wanderers' 100% winning start to an end, but they remain unbeaten in league competition and sit two points clear of Bradford City at the top of the table.

Parkinson's side are next in action on Tuesday, when they host Everton U23's in the Checkatrade Trophy at Macron Stadium, before returning to league competition at home to Southend United next Saturday.

Charlton Athletic: Rudd, Solly, Pearce, Konsa, Fox, Holmes, Crofts, Foley (Lookman 64), Jackson (Bauer 24), Ajose, Magennis (Hanlan 90)
Subs Not Used: Johnson, Phillips, Botaka, Lennon
Goals: Lookman 90

Bolton Wanderers: Howard, Buxton, Wheater, Beevers, Moxey, Trotter, Vela, Spearing, Davies (C Taylor 51), Madine (Wilkinson 83), Proctor (A Taylor 74)
Subs Not Used: Wilson, Walker, Woolery, Turner
Booked: Moxey
Goals: Madine 53

Referee: Dean Whitestone
Attendance: 10,926

Sky Bet League One Standings

Pos Team Pld Pts
1 Accrington Stanley 0 0
2 Barnsley 0 0
3 Bolton Wanderers 0 0
4 Bristol Rovers 0 0
5 Burton Albion 0 0
View Full Standings >>


Who is Bolton's 2021/22 Player of the Year?
32.58% Oladapo Afolayan
30.96% Gethin Jones
21.72% Ricardo Almeida Santos
5.51% Declan John
4.05% Kieran Lee
3.08% MJ Williams
1.78% Joel Dixon
0.32% George Johnston