Wigan Athletic 1-1 Bolton Wanderers

  • March 21, 2015 | By Chris Mann
  • URL Short URL: http://b-ac.es/dc8f9

Bolton ended a run of six successive away defeats on Saturday, but condeded yet another stoppage time goal in a 1-1 draw at Wigan Athletic.

Despite being second best for the majority of the game, Wanderers almost took all three points away from the DW Stadium after Tom Walker's first senior goal had given Neil Lennon's side the lead with 20 minutes left to play.

Wigan desperately pushed forward in search of an equaliser in the latter stages and their persistance was rewarded in the fourth of five added minutes at the end of the match, as substitute Martyn Waghorn's overhead kick bounced down off the crossbar and over the line to renew hope of an unlikely survival against relegation for Malky Mackay's men.

There were five changes to the Bolton team that began Tuesday's defeat at Ipswich Town, as Paddy McCarthy, Liam Feeney, Barry Bannan, Adam Le Fondre and Emile Heskey all returned to the side. The ones to miss out were Dorian Dervite, Josh Vela, Eidur Gudjohnsen and Craig Davies, who all dropped to the bench, while Giles Coke was left out of the matchday 18.

With more than 4,000 travelling supporters backing their team, it was Bolton who created the first shooting opportunity of the afternoon as Le Fondre dragged an attempt across the face of goal after he was played in by Heskey.

Wigan's first chance arrived on the quarter-hour, as James Perch took aim at goal from 25 yards. With the Wanderers defence slow to close, his shot got the better of Ben Amos before crashing back off the crossbar.

After seeing that shot come back off the bar, Leon Clarke looked certain to head home the opening goal of the game but could only find the waiting gloves of Amos.

Josh Murphy twice came close in the moments that followed, before Walker headed straight into the ground at the other end after getting on the end of a cross from Feeney.

A cross-cum-shot from Walker flashed across the face of goal as the half-hour approached, while Rochinha had a low strike saved by Ali Al Habsi, before a goalbound header from Heskey deflected behind for a corner.

Wigan looked destined to take the lead on 37 minutes, as Fortune got on the end of a cross from Murphy. The former West Bromwich Albion forward directed a powerful header towards goal, but Amos stuck out a big hand to make a sensational save to keep the game goalless.

After performing heroics on two separate occasions, Amos was finally beaten in the final minute of the half but Clarke was clearly offside as he raced to get on the end of a Jermaine Pennant header and the two sides went in level at the break.

There were no changes to either side at the start of the second half, which began with a curling free-kick from Pennant striking the Bolton post after Barry Bannan had committed a foul on the edge of the box.

Pennant was denied again shortly afterwards, this time by a sliding challenge from Matt Mills, prompting Wanderers boss Lennon into making his first change as Vela came on for Rochinha.

Fortune and Murphy came within inches of giving Wigan the lead at the end of two separate attacks either side of the hour, before Bolton took the lead with 20 minutes left to play courtesy of a huge slice of luck.

Receiving the ball from Trotter, Walker set his sights at goal from 25 yards and seeing his shot deflect off a defender before rolling beyond a wrong-footed Al Habsi to spark wild scenes from the 4,230 travelling supporters behind the goal.

Gaetan Bong and Murphy both fired over the bar as Wigan looked for an immediate response, before Wanderers substitute Craig Davies went in the book for diving with six minutes left to play - much to the disgust of his manager on the sidelines.

Davies looked like he was about to make amends for his booking just moments later, after latching on to the end of a through ball from Heskey. After watching the ball roll across his body, Davies took aim at goal but was denied by a backtracking defender and the chance was gone.

Bannan and Sheyi Ojo both failed to test their opposing goalkeepers at either end of the field, while Wigan were denied by the woodwork for a third time in the final minute of the 90 as Amos tipped a header from Clarke onto the crossbar.

Five minutes of time was added at the end of the game and, as has come to be expected from Bolton in recent weeks, they conceded in the fourth of those five as Waghorn's overhead kick went in off the underside of the bar to secure a draw that keeps Wigan's hopes of Championship survival alive.

Bolton were booed off the field at the end of the game, with supporters once again left to rue a late slip in concentration, as they drop one place to 17th ahead of the international break.

Lennon's side return to action on April 4, when they host Blackpool at Macron Stadium on a day where they could potentially send the Seasiders into League One.

Wigan Athletic: Al Habsi, Boyce (Kvist 78), Maguire, Pearce, Bong, Pennant (Ojo 67), Perch, Bo-Kyung, Murphy, Fortune (Waghorn 78), Clarke
Subs Not Used: Carson, Taylor, McKay, Cowie
Booked: Maguire
Goals: Waghorn 90+4

Bolton Wanderers: Amos, Mills, McCarthy, Ream, Feeney, Trotter, Bannan, Rochinha (Vela 55), Walker (Moxey 83), Le Fondre (C Davies 68), Heskey
Subs Not Used: Bogdan, Dervite, Gudjohnsen, Twardzik
Booked: C Davies
Goals: Walker 70

Referee: Nigel Miller
Attendance: 15,861

Sky Bet League One Standings

Pos Team Pld Pts
7 Plymouth Argyle 46 80
8 Oxford United 46 76
9 Bolton Wanderers 46 73
10 Portsmouth 46 73
11 Ipswich Town 46 70
View Full Standings >>


Who is Bolton's 2021/22 Player of the Year?
32.58% Oladapo Afolayan
30.96% Gethin Jones
21.72% Ricardo Almeida Santos
5.51% Declan John
4.05% Kieran Lee
3.08% MJ Williams
1.78% Joel Dixon
0.32% George Johnston