Bolton Wanderers 2-0 Millwall

  • March 14, 2015 | By Chris Mann
  • URL Short URL:

Adam Le Fondre netted a first-half brace, as Bolton returned to winning ways with a 2-0 victory over Millwall at Macron Stadium.

Moving swiftly on from Wednesday's stoppage time defeat at Blackburn Rovers, Wanderers took control of the game early on and never looked under threat of securing anything but three points against a team under the management of Neil Harris for the first time.

Neil Lennon's side took the lead inside 10 minutes, as Le Fondre expertly controlled a long ball from Tim Ream before cutting inside and slotting beyond David Forde. He doubled his tally in the final minute of the first-half, latching on to a through ball from Eidur Gudjohnsen and curling the ball into the top corner.

Initially, Lennon made two changes to the Bolton side that was beaten at Ewood Park during the week, with Barry Bannan and Gudjohnsen taking the places of Giles Coke and Emile Heskey. However, that would soon become three as Saidy Janko pulled up in the warm-up and was forced out of the line-up.

Instead, Tom Walker was promoted from a substitute for his first senior start and Coke came into the 18 by taking up a place on the bench.

Wanderers created the first chance of the game, which arrived in the 8th minute, as Le Fondre brought Forde into action with a low shot from just inside the box.

Forde was beaten two minutes later, though, as a ball forward from Ream was brought under control by Le Fondre. With the goal in his sights, the on-loan Cardiff City forward stepped inside his marker and slotted home at the near post to open the scoring.

Walker was becoming more involved as the half wore on, winning a number of free-kicks in opposition territory, while Millwall fashioned their first shooting chance when Gary Taylor-Fletcher fired wide from 25 yards.

Neil Danns entered the referee's book for a lunge on the half-hour and was given a final warning by match referee Andy Haines for another challenge that followed just moments later.

Good play from Danns and former Millwall winger Liam Feeney almost presented Le Fondre with a sight of goal, but Wanderers found a way through to double their advantage in the final minute of the half.

This time, Gudjohnsen's burst from midfield provided him with two passing options. He decided to ignore Feeney to his right, instead opting to choose the ball to Le Fondre. He then cut inside before bending a shot into the top corner of Forde's goal to send the home side in at the break with a 2-0 lead.

There was one change to the Bolton side at the start of the second half, as Danns, who was one tackle away from a dismissal, was replaced by Coke.

The first chance of the second period fell the way of the visitors, but Ed Upson failed to keep his volley on target and the ball went behind for a goal-kick.

At the other end, a move Coke came close to ending a move he had started with a goal. After spreading the play to Feeney, his cross into the box was only half cleared by the Millwall defence and Coke smashed the ball wide after arriving late to meet the ball on the 18-yard line.

Walker had struggled to get involved down the Bolton left, but showed a glimpse of his capabilities when a determined run through the middle of the park ended with him dragging a shot narrowly wide of the post.

A superb tackle from Ream denied Aiden O'Brien with a clear sight of goal just before the hour, before the same man was alert once more to break up a Millwall counter attack which had began with a Wanderers corner.

Ben Amos made his first meaningful save of the afternoon at the midway point of the half, as he stayed tall to block O'Brien's shot on goal, before Wanderers made their second change of the game as Craig Davies came on for the tiring Gudjohnsen.

Amos got down well to deny O'Brien again as the clock ticked towards the final 15 minutes, while Davies was inches away from scoring a certain third after pushing forward to get on the end of a Josh Vela cross.

The same duo combined again shortly afterwards, with Millwall once again surviving the danger, before Davies won a free-kick 25 yards from goal after being hauled down by Lions captain Alan Dunne, who was fortunate to escape with a yellow card.

Walker took control of the resulting free-kick, bringing Forde into action with a shot that was heading for the top corner, before Millwall substitute Ricardo Fuller dragged a shot wide at the other end with the final action of the game.

Bolton were worthy winners on the day, securing three points that takes them up two places to 16th in the Championship table. They are 10 points clear of Wigan Athletic in the race against the drop, ahead of a trip to promotion-chasing Ipswich Town on Tuesday night.

Bolton Wanderers: Amos, Vela, Mills, McCarthy, Ream, Walker, Danns (Coke 46), Bannan (Trotter 87), Feeney, Gudjohnsen (C Davies 72), Le Fondre
Subs Not Used: Hall, Heskey, Lonergan, Twardzik
Booked: Danns
Goals: Le Fondre 10,45

Millwall: Forde, Cummings, Dunne, Hooiveld, Harding, Abdou, Williams, Upson (Cowan-Hall 66), O'Brien (Gueye 81), Gregory, Taylor-Fletcher (Fuller 59)
Subs Not Used: Beevers, Powell, Archer, Maierhofer
Booked: Dunne

Referee: Andy Haines
Attendance: 14,719

Sky Bet League One Standings

Pos Team Pld Pts
13 Accrington Stanley 27 36
14 Charlton Athletic 27 33
15 Bolton Wanderers 26 32
16 Lincoln City 26 31
17 Cheltenham Town 27 31
View Full Standings >>


Who is Bolton's 2020/21 Player of the Year?
56.86% Ricardo Santos
17.79% Matt Gilks
10.64% Alex Baptiste
9.94% Eoin Doyle
2.52% Antoni Sarcevic
1.54% Gethin Jones
0.42% Nathan Delfouneso
0.28% Ryan Delaney