Bolton Wanderers 3-1 Fulham

  • February 10, 2015 | By Chris Mann
  • URL Short URL:

Neil Lennon's unbeaten home league record in charge of Bolton continues, after Wanderers came from behind to beat Fulham 3-1 on Tuesday.

Bolton fell behind in the 21st minute at Macron Stadium, as Shaun Hutchinson bundled home from a corner, but the two sides went in level at the break after Eidur Gudjohnsen netted against his former club from Saidy Janko's cross.

For long periods of the second half the game had looked set to end all square, but Janko fired Wanderers ahead with a piledriver with 10 minutes left to play, before Adam Le Fondre's perseverance forced a mistake in the Fulham defence and allowed him to fire into an empty net inside the final minute of normal time.

There were three changes to the Bolton side that started in Saturday's 4-1 defeat at Derby County, as Janko, Neil Danns and Eidur Gudjohnsen took the places of Dean Moxey and Zach Clough, who dropped to the bench, as well as the injured Liam Trotter.

Gudjohnsen captained the side in the absence of Matt Mills, despite the inclusion of both David Wheater and Neil Danns in the starting line-up.

The first chance of the game fell the way of the hosts, as Josh Vela received the ball from Janko before seeing his shot charged down by a Fulham defender.

Ross McCormack was the first to try his luck for the visitors, with Wheater timing a block to perfection to prevent the opening goal of the evening, before Gudjohnsen also saw a shot charged down at the other end.

The game was then halted for a brief moment while Tim Ream received treatment after appearing to fall awkwardly on his shoulder, moments before Andy Lonergan was forced into his first save of the evening to keep out a near-post header after Nikolay Bodurov had stole in from a corner.

Wanderers fell behind from the corner that followed, however, as they failed to clear their lines and Hutchinson was allowed to fire home from close range.

Liam Feeney was proving to be Bolton's best attacking threat, as he played out on the left, but the majority of his crosses were just too high or long for the likes of Le Fondre to get on the end of.

Wanderers had a glorious chance to equalise just after the half hour, but Gudjohnsen shot straight at Marcus Bettinelli from the edge of the box after Le Fondre had forced a mistake out of the Fulham defence.

Fulham should have doubled their advantage with 37 minutes played, as McCormack marched into the Bolton box. His shot seemed destined to nestle in the bottom corner and would have done, but for the outstretched left arm of Lonergan.

Lennon's side saw appeals for a penalty turned down when a shot from Vela struck an arm, but Wanderers were level in the final minute of the half as Gudjohnsen controlled Janko's low cross from the right before slotting past Bettinelli to send the sides in level at the break.

There were no changes to either side at the start of the second half, which started with the home side on the attack.

Le Fondre was the first to try his luck, as he shot wide on the half volley, before Janko saw a curling strike deflect behind for a corner.

The on-loan Le Fondre thought he had scored his first Bolton goal in the 56th minute, only to see his goalbound shot cleared off the line, before a Wheater header and two more shots from Le Fondre brought good saves out of Bettinelli.

Fulham made the first change of the evening, with Scott Parker coming on to replace Seko Fofana at the midway point of the half, but Wanderers remained the better side, with Janko in particular proving to be a constant menace down the right flank.

Sensing the visitors were beginning to struggle defensively, Clough replaced Gudjohnsen for the final 15 minutes. Then, just five minutes later, Wanderers were ahead as Janko received possession from Vela before drilling an unstoppable drive into the top corner of Bettinelli's goal.

Bolton took control of the game in the final ten minutes, during which time Robert Hall came on in place of Janko, who left the field to a standing ovation.

They wrapped up the points in the final minute of normal time, as Le Fondre's determination to force a mistake paid dividends. Bettinelli gifted the former Reading forward got the ball 30 yards from goal and, with an empty net to aim for, chipped the ball over a crowd of bodies to cap a fine individual performance with his first goal in Bolton colours.

Filip Twardzik was brought on for his home debut in the dying stages, coming on in place of Bannan, as Wanderers saw out time to claim a vital three points which pushes them up to 13th in the Championship table.

Lennon's side return to action on Saturday, when they run out at Macron Stadium once again. This time, Watford will be the visitors.

Bolton Wanderers: Lonergan, Janko (Hall 88), Wheater, Dervite, Ream, Vela, Bannan (Twardzik 90), Danns, Feeney, Gudjohnsen (Clough 76), Le Fondre
Subs Not Used: Moxey, Amos, Eaves, Slavchev
Goals: Gudjohnsen 44, Janko 80, Le Fondre 89

Fulham: Bettinelli, Grimmer, Hutchinson, Bodurov, Stafylidis, Tunnicliffe, Christensen, Fofana (Parker 66), Kacaniklic (Williams 81), Rodallega (Woodrow 76), McCormack
Subs Not Used: Kiraly, Roberts, Dembele, Burn
Goals: Hutchinson 21

Referee: Gary Sutton
Attendance: 12,790

Sky Bet League One Standings

Pos Team Pld Pts
13 Accrington Stanley 27 36
14 Charlton Athletic 27 33
15 Bolton Wanderers 26 32
16 Lincoln City 26 31
17 Cheltenham Town 27 31
View Full Standings >>


Who is Bolton's 2020/21 Player of the Year?
56.86% Ricardo Santos
17.79% Matt Gilks
10.64% Alex Baptiste
9.94% Eoin Doyle
2.52% Antoni Sarcevic
1.54% Gethin Jones
0.42% Nathan Delfouneso
0.28% Ryan Delaney