Bolton Wanderers 1-2 Bournemouth

  • October 04, 2014 | By Chris Mann
  • URL Short URL:

Bolton began life after Dougie Freedman with a defeat, as ten-man Bournemouth beat Wanderers 2-1 at Macron Stadium.

The Cherries went a man down on 36 minutes when Yann Kermorgant received a straight red card for going into a challenge with Mark Davies with a high boot, but they went ahead less than 60 seconds into the second half as Callum Wilson finished off a fine move by slotting past Andy Lonergan from close range.

Jay Spearing equalised six minutes later, with a deflected shot that deceived Artur Boruc in the Bournemouth goal, but the visitors sealed victory midway through the half as Wilson got between Matt Mills and Dorian Dervite before calmly rolling the ball into the net.

The stand-in management duo of Andy Hughes and Lee Turner made three changes to the side that lost 4-0 at Fulham on Wednesday night, with Lee Chung-Yong, Mark Davies and Jermaine Beckford coming in for Dean Moxey, Darren Pratley and former Bournemouth winger Liam Feeney.

Wanderers started brightly and came close to opening the scoring inside the opening minute, as Craig Davies brought Artur Boruc into a low save at his near post.

Mark Davies and Neil Danns both came close in the minutes that followed, before Boruc once again got down to deny Craig Davies a breakthrough goal.

The former Barnsley forward was denied by a last-ditch challenge from Steve Cook on the quarter-hour, before Bournemouth's first chance of the game saw Matt Ritchie bring a save out of Lonergan from distance.

Kermorgant had a shot blocked and Marc Pugh fired over the crossbar, as Bournemouth continued to look the more likely goalscorers, before the former saw a free-kick headed off the line by Dervite after Mills had committed a foul on the edge of his own box.

Kermorgant was looking lively in the Cherries' attack, but he received a red card nine minutes before the break to leave his team down to ten men. A heavy first touch sent the ball bouncing high into the air - Mark Davies went into a 50/50 ball with his head, while Kermorgant jumped in with a high, studs showing, challenge that appeared to connect with the Bolton midfielder, leaving referee Andre Marriner with little option but to dismiss him from the field of play.

Bolton were now in a good position to punish their opponents and they came close when Beckford fired inches wide in the 39th minute, although Lonergan was required to tip away a deflected strike from Ritchie as the half drew to a close.

Beckford hit the side netting inside two minutes of stoppage time, before the half drew to a close with Mark Davies receiving treatment for what appeared to be either a knee or hamstring injury.

Davies made it back onto the field for the closing moments of the first-half, but he was replaced at the break by Pratley.

With a full 45 minutes of playing with a one-man advantage ahead of them, Bolton suffered a major blow inside the opening minute of the restart as a fine move down the right-hand side was finished off by a composed finish from Wilson, who gave Bournemouth the lead at Macron Stadium.

Ritchie fired wide as the Cherries looked to double their lead, before a speculative long-range drive from Spearing flew past Boruc after taking a deflection off the head of a Bournemouth defender.

Moments after receiving a huge slice of luck, another piece of fortune almost saw them go ahead - as Craig Davies' cutback from the left deflected off Elphick before coming back off the crossbar.

Boruc spilled a strike from Davies just after the hour, before rising to his feet to keep out the rebound from Beckford, although the referee's assistant had raised his flag for offside against the Wanderers forward.

Chung-Yong forced Boruc into two more saves as the home side looked to convert their dominance into goals, but they received the proverbial kick in the stomach at the midway stage of the half, as Wilson ghosted in ahead of Dervite before slotting the ball past an onrushing Lonergan to put the visitors back in front.

Bolton responded by introducing Joe Mason and the debutant Max Clayton, with Craig Davies and Danns the ones to make way, but it was Bournemouth who continued to enjoy the better of the play.

Ritchie fired over Lonergan's crossbar with 12 minutes to go, while Mason couldn't divert a cross from Chung-Yong towards goal at the other end.

Lonergan found himself in the opposition box as a late Wanderers corner provided them with an opportunity to equalise, but Mason couldn't get on the end of a loose ball as Boruc held on to help Bournemouth claim a first victory in Bolton since March 1992.

Defeat for Bolton, their fifth in succession in all competitions, leaves them bottom of the Championship - five points adrift of safety. They return to action in two weeks, following the international break, when they travel to fellow strugglers Birmingham City.

Bolton Wanderers: Lonergan, Herd, Mills, Dervite, Ream, Chung-Yong, Spearing, M Davies (Pratley 46), Danns (Clayton 76), Beckford, C Davies (Mason 71)
Subs Not Used: McNaughton, Feeney, Kenny, Kamara
Booked: Mills, Herd, Ream
Goals: Spearing 52

Bournemouth: Boruc, Francis, Elphick, Cook, Daniels, Ritchie (Smith 88), Arter, Surman, Pugh, Kermorgant, Wilson (Pitman 90)
Subs Not Used: Gosling, Rantie, Harte, Fraser, Flahavan
Booked: Boruc
Sent Off: Kermorgant
Goals: Wilson 46,68

Referee: Andre Marriner
Attendance: 13,033

Sky Bet League One Standings

Pos Team Pld Pts
1 Accrington Stanley 0 0
2 Barnsley 0 0
3 Bolton Wanderers 0 0
4 Bristol Rovers 0 0
5 Burton Albion 0 0
View Full Standings >>


Who is Bolton's 2021/22 Player of the Year?
32.58% Oladapo Afolayan
30.96% Gethin Jones
21.72% Ricardo Almeida Santos
5.51% Declan John
4.05% Kieran Lee
3.08% MJ Williams
1.78% Joel Dixon
0.32% George Johnston