Bolton Wanderers 3-2 Bury - AET

  • August 12, 2014 | By Chris Mann
  • URL Short URL:

Bolton survived a major scare to book their place in the second round of the Capital One Cup, after requiring extra-time to overcome Bury at Macron Stadium.

The Shakers took a deserved lead with 20 minutes on the clock, as Ryan Lowe slotted past Adam Bogdan from close range, but Wanderers took the game into extra-time when Craig Davies drilled home from the penalty spot in the sixth minute of second-half stoppage time - after being brought down by former Trotters goalkeeper Rob Lainton.

Neil Danns put the hosts ahead by bundling home a corner, three minutes into extra-time, before finding the top corner three minutes later with a superb free-kick from 25 yards. Jim McNulty prodded home from a free-kick 60 seconds later to give Bury hope, but they couldn't force a penalty shoot-out as Bolton advanced through to the next round.

Wanderers boss Dougie Freedman made nine changes to the side that lost at Watford on Saturday, with Tim Ream and Darren Pratley the only players to retain their places. Adam Bogdan captained the side, while Conor Wilkinson was handed a professional debut up front.

Despite being two leagues below Bolton in the Football League, Bury started strongly and Chris Hussey was the first to have an attempt on goal, but his shot flew into the stand after Wanderers had failed to clear their lines at a corner.

Lowe tried his luck from 35 yards shortly afterwards, bringing Bogdan into action, and he had the ball in the net on 20 minutes as he ghosted in ahead of David Wheater and Dorian Dervite to tap home a low cross from Andrew Tutte - giving the visitors the lead.

Robert Hall arrived late to fire Liam Feeney's deep cross over the bar as Wanderers responded, moments before Lowe hit the side netting at the other end after breaking clear of Ream.

Wheater made a superb block to prevent Tutte from adding a second on 36 minutes, before Bolton were denied an equaliser as Shwan Jalal got down at the feet of Jermaine Beckford - injuring himself in the process - to ensure Bury took their lead into the break.

There were no changes to the Wanderers side at the start of the second half, but there was an alteration to the visiting side, as former Trotters goalkeeper Lainton came on for the injured Jalal.

Bolton started the second period brighter than they ended the first, with Liam Trotter playing a neat one-two with Beckford before seeing a low shot well saved by Lainton.

Lainton was involved again in the 55th minute, sticking out a hand to make a stunning save that denied Wheater an equaliser from a corner routine.

Bury were soon back on the attack, though, and came close to doubling their advantage just before the hour, only for Bogdan to throw himself across goal to push away Nicky Adams' goalbound free-kick.

Lee Chung-Yong and Craig Davies replaced Hall and Wilkinson at the midway stage of the half, as Bolton looked for a way back into the game.

Lainton did well to claw away a wicked cross from Beckford that appeared to be sneaking inside the far post, with Chung-Yong waiting to tap the ball home, before Davies fired wide from the resulting corner from a good position.

Danny Mayor bent a shot just wide of the post with 10 minutes to go, moments before Beckford fired high and wide after turning into a one-on-one position inside the Shakers box.

Six minutes of added time were indicated and shortly after Trotter had brought a low stop out of Lainton, controversy struck as Bolton were awarded a penalty after Davies went down under a challenge from the Bury goalkeeper. The Wanderers forward smashed the resulting spot-kick into the bottom corner, with the visiting players fuming at what appeared to be a very harsh award.

Bolton could count themselves very fortunate to have taken the game into extra-time, but, within six minutes, they had a 3-1 lead, thanks to a brace from Danns.

The first saw him bundle the ball home from a Feeney corner, just three minutes into the extra 30, but his second was a thing of beauty as he curled the ball into the top corner of Lainton's goal with a free-kick from 25 yards.

McNulty prodded the ball past Bogdan as Bury scored from a free-kick 60 seconds later, before penalty appeals were turned down after the ball appeared to strike the arm of Davies inside the Bolton box.

Bogdan saved from Tutte in the final minute of the first added period, as Wanderers took control of possession after the restart to book their place in Wednesday's second round draw.

They did it the hard way, but Bolton will go into Saturday's game against Nottingham Forest on the back of a victory in the first competitive fixture at Macron Stadium. After extra-time, they won the match by three goals to two.

Bolton Wanderers: Bogdan, Threlkeld, Dervite, Wheater, Ream, Hall (Chung-Yong 67), Pratley (Danns 78), Trotter, Feeney, Wilkinson (C Davies 67), Beckford
Subs Not Used: Spearing, Lonergan, White, Clough
Goals: C Davies 90+6(pen), Danns 93, 96

Bury: Jalal (Lainton 46), Tutte, Mills, McNulty, Hussey, Adams, Sedgwick, Soares, Cameron, Lowe (Thompson 85), Nardiello (Mayor 63)
Subs Not Used: O'Brien, Widdowson, Poole
Booked: Cameron, Mills
Goals: Lowe 20, McNulty 97

Referee: Jeremy Simpson
Attendance: 9,249

Sky Bet League One Standings

Pos Team Pld Pts
14 Charlton Athletic 21 26
15 Cambridge United 21 26
16 Bolton Wanderers 21 26
17 AFC Wimbledon 19 24
18 Lincoln City 20 21
View Full Standings >>


Who is Bolton's 2020/21 Player of the Year?
56.86% Ricardo Santos
17.79% Matt Gilks
10.64% Alex Baptiste
9.94% Eoin Doyle
2.52% Antoni Sarcevic
1.54% Gethin Jones
0.42% Nathan Delfouneso
0.28% Ryan Delaney