Charlton Athletic 0-0 Bolton Wanderers

  • April 18, 2014 | By Chris Mann
  • URL Short URL:

Bolton extended their unbeaten away run to seven games on Good Friday, after playing out a goalless draw with Charlton Athletic at The Valley.

Chances were few and far between for both sides on a sunny afternoon in the capital, but it was Wanderers who came closest to winning the game when Matt Mills, on his 50th appearance for the club, saw a goalbound header cleared off the line early in the second half.

Charlton had appeals for a penalty turned down when Simon Church went to ground under a challenge from Adam Bogdan on the hour, but neither side managed to find a way through and had to settle for a point apiece.

Wanderers boss Dougie Freedman made three changes to the side that beat Barnsley last weekend, with David Wheater, Neil Danns and Lukas Jutkiewicz taking the places of Alex Baptiste, Andre Moritz and Robert Hall.

Both teams were slow to get started and the action had to be stopped in the early moments, as Bolton forward Jermaine Beckford collided with Addicks goalkeeper Ben Hamer as they both challenged for a 50/50 ball.

After treatment, both players were fit to continue. With Hamer struggling, Bolton made sure they tested his reactions in the moments that followed but Jutkiewicz headed wide from an Alan Hutton cross.

Hard work from Jutkiewicz forced a 10th minute corner for the visitors, from which Hamer did well to get in the way of a half-volley from Beckford. The ball fell back into the box, before being cleared to safety.

Jutkiewicz had a shot blocked on the quarter-hour and Beckford was just a little too slow to latch on to a long ball from Lee Chung-Yong shortly afterwards, before Charlton's first chance of the game arrived at the midway point of the half.

25 yards from goal, Astrit Ajdarevic struck the ball on the volley and, with Bogdan beaten, was unfortunate to see it flash inches wide of the post.

That seemed to inject confidence into the home side and they came even closer to breaking the deadlock moments later, but Bogdan was on hand to make a superb stop to deny Reza Ghoochannejhad.

Danns hit an effort over the crossbar as the game approached the half-hour, while Beckford and Jutkiewicz couldn't quite grow enough to turn home a lofted cross from Millwall loanee Liam Trotter.

Ghoochannejhad shot wide from distance with little over five minutes of the half remaining, while a goalbound header from Jutkiewicz was deflected behind off the body of Michael Morrison at the other end.

Wheater hit a shot into the stands from the resulting corner, before Johnnie Jackson did the same at the other end as the two sides went in goalless at the break.

There were no changes to either side at the start of the second half and there were chances for both sides inside the opening 60 seconds, but neither Diego Poyet nor Jay Spearing could find the net at either end.

A deflected shot from Danns forced a corner in the 51st minute, from which Mills looked set to put Bolton in front. His goalbound header had Hamer beaten, but was cleared by a superb goalline clearance from Poyet.

Hutton and Church both received treatment after colliding with the advertising hoardings shortly afterwards, five minutes before the latter was appealing for a penalty after going down under a challenge from Bogdan inside the Bolton box.

The referee was unmoved by the protests and ordered play to continue. There would have been controversy if Bolton had scored at the other end and they almost did, with Jutkiewicz flashing a shot just wide of the far post.

Chung-Yong and Jutkiewicz both had efforts blocked as the game went past the hour mark, while Bogdan was brought into a comfortable stop from a Church strike midway through the second half.

Hamer got down well to stop Jutkiewicz's low strike on 70 minutes, before strong defending from a combination of Wheater and Mills denied Morrison an almost certain goal for the hosts.

Bolton should have taken the lead with 13 minutes remaining, but were left to rue wasteful finishing. Beckford had travelled more than 50 yards with the ball and, unselfishly, teed up Danns. The on loan Leicester City midfielder had the whole goal at his mercy, but somehow skied his shot into the Wanderers fans in the stand.

Wheater received the only booking of the game for a tug on Jonathan Obika, with five minutes to go, and it was the Addicks substitute who came closest to securing all three points for his side in the dying stages, but his acrobatic attempt sailed harmlessly wide of the Bolton goal.

Wanderers had the final chance of the game, with Trotter shooting straight at Hamer, but there was no way through for either side, as they both had to settle for a point.

Bolton's run of seven unbeaten on the road is their best sequence of results since September 2005 and their record of seven clean sheets in their last 12 games is the same number they managed in their previous 44 outings.

Freedman's side return to action on Tuesday, when they face already promoted Leicester City at the Reebok Stadium.

Charlton Athletic: Hamer, Wilson, Morrison, Dervite, Fox, Poyet, Ghoochannejhad (Obika 65), Cousins, Jackson, Ajdarevic (Green 74), Church (Hughes 84)
Subs Not Used: Wood, Thuram-Ulien, Nego, Petrucci

Bolton Wanderers: Bogdan, Hutton (Baptiste 74), Mills, Wheater, Ream, Spearing, Danns, Chung-Yong (Hall 89), Trotter, Jutkiewicz, Beckford
Subs Not Used: Knight, Lonergan, Robinson, Kellett, Iliev
Booked: Wheater

Referee: Brendan Malone
Attendance: 15,773

Sky Bet League One Standings

Pos Team Pld Pts
1 Accrington Stanley 0 0
2 Barnsley 0 0
3 Bolton Wanderers 0 0
4 Bristol Rovers 0 0
5 Burton Albion 0 0
View Full Standings >>


Who is Bolton's 2021/22 Player of the Year?
32.58% Oladapo Afolayan
30.96% Gethin Jones
21.72% Ricardo Almeida Santos
5.51% Declan John
4.05% Kieran Lee
3.08% MJ Williams
1.78% Joel Dixon
0.32% George Johnston