Bolton Wanderers 4-0 Blackburn Rovers

  • March 01, 2014 | By Chris Mann
  • URL Short URL:

Bolton got their revenge for a thumping at Ewood Park earlier this season, by beating Blackburn Rovers 4-0 at the Reebok Stadium.

Wanderers were beaten 4-1 in August's reverse fixture, but got one over their Lancashire rivals as goals from Medo Kamara, Joe Mason, Jay Spearing and Andre Moritz gave Dougie Freedman's side back-to-back victories for the first time since November.

It also provided the Trotters with successive clean sheets in league competition for the first time in 11 months, as they moved nine points clear of the Championship's relegation zone.

Bolton lined up with two changes to the side that beat Watford 2-0 last weekend, with Zat Knight and Neil Danns taking the places of injured duo Matt Mills and Darren Pratley.

The hosts were doing all the early attacking and they created the first chance of the game, although Kamara's free-kick was deflected away after Mark Davies had been brought down on the edge of the box.

Danns was next to try his luck, but Rovers goalkeeper Paul Robinson reacted well to push a deflected looping shot behind for a corner - denying the Bolton midfielder a goal against his former club.

Wanderers continued to press forward and were unlucky not to go in front on nine minutes. Davies picked up possession on the left flank, cut inside and took aim at goal. His shot found a way past Robinson, but Matthew Kilgallon was back on the line to make an all-important clearance.

Similar to Danns' earlier strike, Blackburn then came close as Marcus Olsson's looping shot was clawed away from under his crossbar by Adam Bogdan.

Mason and Lukas Jutkiewicz both had shots blocked in the next attack, before Jordan Rhodes had an attempt charged down by Bogdan at the other end.

Rudy Gestede was inches away from turning home a Craig Conway cross on 20 minutes and he was left to rue that miss, as Wanderers went ahead just three minutes later.

Danns linked up with Davies down the left side and cut the ball back for Kamara, who sent a diving header back across Robinson's goal and into the bottom corner for his second goal of the campaign.

A 35-yard strike from Olsson landed whistled inches over the crossbar as Rovers attempted to fashion a response, but it was Bolton who continued to press forward - with Robinson once again getting down well to parry a shot from Danns to safety.

Mason was denied in a one-on-one situation in the latter stages of the first-half, but he got his revenge in stoppage time as he reacted quickly to shoot on the turn and pick out the corner of Robinson's net to double the hosts' advantage - sending them in 2-0 up at the break.

Blackburn boss Gary Bowyer responded by making two substitutions at the start of the second half, as Luke Varney and Corry Evans came on to replace Lee Williamson and Chris Taylor. Unfortunately, for them, at least, Wanderers had the ball in the net just two minutes after the restart.

Spearing picked up possession 25-yards out and took aim at the Rovers goal. His shot flashed past Robinson, hit the underside of the crossbar and bounced back into play. Play initially continued, but the referee's assistant was flagging away, leaving referee Paul Tierney with the decision to award the goal.

The Rovers players were furious with the decision, but Wanderers weren't complaining as they had a three-goal lead with just 47 minutes on the clock.

Having conceded four at Ewood Park earlier in the season, Bolton had their sights set on making amends for that scoreline and they came close to scoring again two minutes later as Knight headed wide from a Spearing corner.

Jutkiewicz dragged a shot narrowly wide on the hour, before a rare attack from Rovers resulted in Rhodes heading just wide of Bogdan's far post at the other end.

The game began to cool down as the clock ticked over into the final quarter, with attempts at either end from Alex Baptiste and Gestede both failing to trouble the opposition goalkeepers.

Mason shot into the side netting in the 82nd minute, in a move that was sandwiched between three changes for the home side - as Lee Chung-Yong, Moritz and Liam Trotter came on for Davies, Danns and Jutkiewicz.

Three minutes of added time were signalled by the fourth official and with Bolton supporters chanting 'We Want Four', they got exactly what they wanted as Moritz drilled a 30-yard shot beyond Robinson to make the final score 4-0 to the Wanderers.

Victory moves Bolton up one place to 18th in the Championship table, nine points clear of trouble and with back-to-back clean sheets in league competition for the first time since last April. They return to action next weekend when they face Leeds United at Elland Road, where they will go in search of a hat-trick of wins.

Bolton Wanderers: Bogdan, Baptiste, Knight, Wheater, Ream, Spearing, Kamara, M Davies (Chung-Yong 77), Danns (Moritz 85), Jutkiewicz (Trotter 87), Mason
Subs Not Used: Hutton, Eagles, Hall, Lonergan
Booked: M Davies
Goals: Kamara 23, Mason 45+1, Spearing 47, Moritz 90+2

Blackburn Rovers: Robinson, Henley, Lowe, Kilgallon (Kane 73), Spurr, Conway, Taylor (Evans 46), Williamson (Varney 46), Olsson, Rhodes, Gestede
Subs Not Used: Eastwood, Dabo, Lenihan, Rittenberg
Booked: Gestede

Referee: Paul Tierney
Attendance: 17,541

Sky Bet League One Standings

Pos Team Pld Pts
13 Accrington Stanley 27 36
14 Charlton Athletic 27 33
15 Bolton Wanderers 26 32
16 Lincoln City 26 31
17 Cheltenham Town 27 31
View Full Standings >>


Who is Bolton's 2020/21 Player of the Year?
56.86% Ricardo Santos
17.79% Matt Gilks
10.64% Alex Baptiste
9.94% Eoin Doyle
2.52% Antoni Sarcevic
1.54% Gethin Jones
0.42% Nathan Delfouneso
0.28% Ryan Delaney