Bolton Wanderers 0-1 Cardiff City

  • January 25, 2014 | By Chris Mann
  • URL Short URL:

Bolton's FA Cup adventure came to an end at the fourth round stage, as they were beaten 1-0 by Cardiff City at the Reebok Stadium.

A goalkeeping howler from Andy Lonergan, five minutes after the break, allowed Fraizer Campbell to tap the ball into the empty net just moments after being introduced as a half-time substitute.

It was the Bluebirds' only shot on target in the whole game, while the closest Wanderers came was when a wayward clearance from Ben Turner was pushed behind by David Marshall.

Trotters boss Dougie Freedman made two changes to the side that was beaten 7-1 at Reading last weekend, with Medo Kamara and Craig Davies taking the places of Mark Davies and David Ngog - who weren't even named on the bench.

Former Bolton loanees Kevin McNaughton and Joe Mason started for the visitors, just three weeks after returning to the Welsh side after spending time at the Reebok.

The first chance of the game fell the way of the visiting side, as Kim Bo-Kyung teed up Andreas Cornelius - whose shot was deflected onto the roof of the Bolton net.

At the other end, Cardiff failed to deal with a Neil Danns corner and the ball fell kindly to Chris Eagles. The one-time City transfer target got a shot in at goal, but is was charged down by McNaughton.

Moments after Aron Gunnarsson was on the receiving end of a poor challenge from Lee Chung-Yong, which resulted in a yellow card, the Icelander took an acrobatic attempt at goal but it was charged down and Lonergan came out to gather.

With 18 minutes played, Chung-Yong received possession inside the final third. He advanced to the edge of the box and took a shot, which flashed inches wide of Marshall's left-hand post with him routed to the spot.

Marshall was then on hand to deny Matt Mills, after he directed a free-kick from Tim Ream towards goal.

On the half-hour, Peter Whittingham's corner found Mark Hudson at the back post. He looked set to put his side ahead, but his header sailed across the face of goal before being turned away by Alex Baptiste.

Danns was booked for a late challenge on McNaughton as the half entered the final 10 minutes, before both sides had chances to take a lead into the break.

After Kevin Theophile-Catherine's cross was just missed by Whittingham, Bolton went straight up to the other end and would surely have taken the lead had somebody gambled on Chung-Yong's low ball across the six-yard box.

With neither side managing to take any of their rare sights of goal, it came as no surprise to see them go in goalless at half-time.

Not happy with the performance of his players, Cardiff boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer made two changes at the start of the second half - with Campbell and Craig Noone coming on for Cornelius, Magnus Wolff Eikrem.

Within five minutes of the restart, Campbell, one of those introduced, had the ball in the net and the visitors had the lead. A goalkeeping blunder from Lonergan, which saw the ball roll straight under his body, resulted in the former Manchester United forward having the simple task of slotting the ball home from a yard.

Cardiff had started the second half well, as they struggled to deal with the threat of Noone, and Campbell should have doubled the advantage on 55 minutes but somehow headed over from close range.

Wanderers did have a venture forward as the game approached the hour, with Marshall parrying away a powerful drive from Danns. Mills then headed wide from the resulting corner, after doing well to rise above his marker.

After doing well to deny Danns, Marshall then pulled off the save of the game as he got down to push Craig Davies' deflected cross around the post - moments before clawing away Turner's mishit clearance, which was heading towards the bottom corner.

Sanmi Odelusi and Andre Moritz took the places of Eagles and Kamara for the final 15 minutes, with the latter's first involvement to swing a free-kick into the box that was headed well wide by Chung-Yong.

Davies and Mills both came close as the 80 minutes mark passed by, while Moritz skied the ball into the stands after doing well to work a yard of space just outside the Cardiff box.

Jay Spearing saw a shot deflect wide in the latter stages, while Bo-Kyung's low drive saw well parried by Lonergan.

Baptiste and Campbell were both booked in stoppage time, as the game threatened to boil over, but the four additional minutes came and went without a goal as Cardiff booked their place in the fifth round of the FA Cup for only the third time in the last 20 years. Wanderers, meanwhile, exit at this stage for the second successive season.

Freedman's side must regroup quickly, as they return to action with a long trip to Queens Park Rangers on Tuesday night.

Bolton Wanderers: Lonergan, Baptiste, Knight, Mills, Ream, Spearing, Kamara (Odelusi 72), Chung-Yong, Danns, Eagles (Moritz 72), C Davies
Subs Not Used: Bogdan, Hall, Pratley, Vela, White
Booked: Chung-Yong, Danns, Spearing, Baptiste

Cardiff City: Marshall, Theophile-Catherine, Hudson, Turner, McNaughton, Bo-Kyung, Gunnarsson, Eikrem (Noone 46), Whittingham, Mason (Daehli 80), Cornelius (Campbell 46)
Subs Not Used: Caulker, Medel, Lewis, John
Booked: Hudson, Bo-Kyung
Goals: Campbell 50

Referee: Jonathan Moss
Attendance: 12,750

Sky Bet League One Standings

Pos Team Pld Pts
1 Accrington Stanley 0 0
2 Barnsley 0 0
3 Bolton Wanderers 0 0
4 Bristol Rovers 0 0
5 Burton Albion 0 0
View Full Standings >>


Who is Bolton's 2021/22 Player of the Year?
32.58% Oladapo Afolayan
30.96% Gethin Jones
21.72% Ricardo Almeida Santos
5.51% Declan John
4.05% Kieran Lee
3.08% MJ Williams
1.78% Joel Dixon
0.32% George Johnston