Charlton Athletic 3-2 Bolton Wanderers

  • March 30, 2013 | By Chris Mann
  • URL Short URL:

Bolton's away day struggles continue, as they threw away a two-goal lead to lose 3-2 at Charlton Athletic.

Wanderers got off to the perfect start when Marvin Sordell put them ahead inside the opening four minutes at The Valley and things continued to get better for Dougie Freedman's side, as Medo Kamara scored his first goal for the club with 20 minutes played.

Johnnie Jackson pulled one back for the Addicks on 25 minutes, before the game changed within the space of five crazy second half minutes.

Ricardo Fuller pounced on a loose ball from Zat Knight and Sam Ricketts had little choice but to haul down the former Stoke City forward, prompting a second yellow card from match referee Trevor Kettle. Yann Kermorgant struck the post from the resulting free-kick, before Dorian Dervite slotted home the rebound to bring the scores level.

Chris Powell's side were then awarded a penalty, just three minutes later, as Darren Pratley brought down Fuller inside the box. Kermorgant stepped up to take the resulting spot-kick and found the bottom corner of Andy Lonergan's goal.

Wanderers struggled to break down a resilient Charlton defence and their frustrations boiled over in stoppage time, as substitute Craig Davies was sent off for a second bookable offence and the hosts held on to claim a 3-2 victory. Bolton would continue to hound the referee after the final whistle, which led to Zat Knight being shown a yellow card.

Freedman made two changes to the side that lost at Ipswich Town prior to the international break, with Kamara and Sordell taking the places of Chris Eagles and Craig Davies. They would prove to be inspired changes, as both would go on to score inside the opening 20 minutes.

The visitors started brightly and could have been ahead in little over 60 seconds. Craig Dawson appeared to have been hauled down inside the Charlton box but the referee ordered play to continue, before Lee Chung-Yong fired inches wide of goal.

Wanderers' good start continued and they took the lead with their next attack. After receiving the ball from David Ngog, Sordell raced towards the edge of the box and worked himself a yard of space before striking low into the bottom corner to claim his seventh goal of the season.

The hosts hit back and Bradley Pritchard brought a smart stop out of Lonergan, before the game settled down - with Wanderers enjoying plenty of the possession.

Their dominance was rewarded with 20 minutes played with a goal out of the blue. Kamara received the ball 30 yards from goal, took aim at the Charlton goal and drilled a low effort beyond Ben Hamer and in off the post. It was Kamara's first goal in Wanderers colours and he celebrated by racing over to the Wanderers dugout and shaking the hand of Freedman.

That goal sparked Charlton into life and they pulled one back with 25 minutes gone. Moments after seeing a deflected effort flash wide of the post, Jackson struck the ball through a body of players and found the far corner of Lonergan's goal to reduce the deficit.

The Addicks then went in search of an unlikely equaliser, as Fuller and Jackson both went close with 10 minutes of the half remaining. A deflected free-kick from Chris Solly was the closest either side came before the break, as Wanderers took their lead into the interval.

No substitutions were made at half-time, as both sides came out unchanged for the start of the second period.

Charlton were the quickest out of the blocks and Callum Harriott came close to an equaliser within two minutes of the restart, but his deflected shot was pushed away by Lonergan and cleared to safety by Ricketts.

There was a brief stoppage as the fourth official took over from an injured linesman on 54 minutes. When play resumed, the game was turned on its head within the space of just five minutes.

With 57 minutes on the clock, a poor pass from Knight put the Wanderers defence into trouble. Fuller capitalised on the mistake and appeared to be closing in on the Bolton box, before going to ground under a challenge from Ricketts. The Trotters defender got to his feet and was sent for an early bath by the match referee, Trevor Kettle, who produced a second yellow card.

Freedman made an instant change, with Sordell being replaced by debutant Danny Butterfield. The Wanderers boss was left to alter his gameplan just moments later, however, as Charlton equalised from the free-kick which led to Ricketts' red card.

Kermorgant's beat Lonergan and cannoned back off the post, leaving Dervite with the simple task of slotting the ball into the empty net from close range.

Things went from bad to worse for the visitors just two minutes later, as Fuller went down inside the Bolton box under a challenge from Pratley. The referee pointed to the spot and Kermorgant put the hosts in front - firing his penalty into the bottom corner.

Craig Davies came on to replace Lee Chung-Yong soon after Wanderers fell behind, but it was last season's League One champions who were now in complete control of the game. Pritchard came close to making it four with 20 minutes remaining but his shot was blocked, before being cleared to safety by Dawson.

Marcos Alonso saw a tame shot roll into the hands of Hamer shortly afterwards, but Bolton had to wait until the final minute of normal time before a serious opportunity arose. Craig Davies did well to break away from a couple of challenges but Hamer pounced on his low cross, with substitute Sanmi Odelusi just inches away from what would have been a certain debut goal.

Lonergan kept the visitors alive with a superb save to deny Kermorgant in the first of seven added minutes for stoppages but Wanderers would fall apart in the latter stages, as Craig Davies was shown two yellow cards within the space of three minutes - reducing Bolton to nine men. Jay Spearing's dissent earned him a booking before the referee called time on the game, with Charlton running out 3-2 winners.

The controversy didn't end there, however, as Knight also talked himself into a yellow card as the teams were walking back towards the tunnel. Their misconduct could lead to trouble from The FA but the biggest blow in what has been a bad week for Wanderers is the fact that they have lost back-to-back league games for the first time since December.

Freedman must regroup his players quickly as they return to action on Tuesday night, when Huddersfield Town are the visitors to the Reebok Stadium.

Charlton Athletic: Hamer, Solly, Morrison, Dervite, Wiggins, Pritchard, Hughes (Gower 72), Jackson, Harriott (Wilson 86), Kermorgant, Fuller (Haynes 86)
Subs Not Used: Button, Green, Obika, Feely
Booked: Hughes, Solly, Kermorgant
Goals: Jackson 25, Dervite 60, Kermorgant 63'(pen)

Bolton Wanderers: Lonergan, Ricketts, Knight, Dawson, Alonso, Kamara, Spearing, Pratley (Odelusi 82), Ngog, Sordell (Butterfield 59), Chung-Yong (C Davies 69)
Subs Not Used: Bogdan, Eagles, K Davies, Wheater
Booked: Ricketts, Dawson, C Davies, Spearing, Knight
Sent Off: Ricketts, C Davies
Goals: Sordell 4, Kamara 20

Referee: Trevor Kettle
Attendance: 17,322

Sky Bet League One Standings

Pos Team Pld Pts
7 Plymouth Argyle 46 80
8 Oxford United 46 76
9 Bolton Wanderers 46 73
10 Portsmouth 46 73
11 Ipswich Town 46 70
View Full Standings >>


Who is Bolton's 2021/22 Player of the Year?
32.58% Oladapo Afolayan
30.96% Gethin Jones
21.72% Ricardo Almeida Santos
5.51% Declan John
4.05% Kieran Lee
3.08% MJ Williams
1.78% Joel Dixon
0.32% George Johnston