Bolton Wanderers 0-0 Leicester City

  • November 06, 2012 | By Chris Mann
  • URL Short URL:

Bolton failed to build on their win over Cardiff City, as they were held to a goalless draw by Leicester City on Tuesday night.

Neither side lived up to their reputation as pre-season favourites for promotion in a dull affair at the Reebok Stadium, with the cloest either side came to winning coming late in the first half, with Foxes full-back Ritchie de Laet seeing a cross-shot clip Adam Bogdan's crossbar.

Wanderers brought Kasper Schmeichel into action several times after the break, but, despite a late barrage on the Trotters goal, Leicester failed to find a way past a Bolton side, who kept only their second clean sheet of the season.

The first chance of the game arrived with four minutes on the clock, with Bogdan pulling off a smart stop to deny former Preston North End striker David Nugent a goal on his return to the north west.

Lloyd Dyer had played the one-time England international in behind the Wanderers defence, but Bogdan was alert enough to dive at the feet of the forward and make a timely block.

Anthony Knockaert and Danny Drinkwater both struck from distance in the moments that followed, with Drinkwater coming closest, but finding Bogdan in the way once more.

The visitors continued their assault on the Bolton goal and after Martyn Waghorn had been denied by another top save from Bogdan, Wanderers survived a penalty scare as Zat Knight appeared to lunge in on de Laet, only for referee Martin Atkinson to point to the corner flag.

Bolton's first real chance arrived on the half hour, as Chris Eagles saw a 30-yard free-kick expertly turned behind for a corner by Schmeichel.

With just less than 10 minutes of the half remaining, Knockaert picked out the overlapping run of de Laet down the right flank and he cut into the Wanderers box, before clipping the top of the bar with a cross-shot that appeared to have Bogdan beaten.

At the other end, Sam Ricketts raced into the Leicester box, but his cutback failed to find anybody in a white shirt and eventually went out for a throw. Moments earlier, the Wales international had been booked for a foul on Dyer. He was soon followed by Darren Pratley, who was shown a yellow card for a challenge on substitute Jeffrey Schlupp.

The final chance of the opening 45 minutes fell the way of Bolton, with Lee Chung-Yong finding space inside the Leicester box, before forcing Schmeichel into a fine stop low to his left, meaning the two sides went in level at the break.

Both sides emerged unchanged for the start of the second half and it was the hosts who made all the early attacking.

After working his way into the penalty area, Eagles almost succeeded in catching out Schmeichel at his near post, but the Leicester goalkeeper made a good save to turn the ball behind for a corner.

Kevin Davies directed a header into the arms of Schmeichel moments later and the Foxes goalkeeper was on hand again on 55 minutes, this time to deny former City midfielder Mark Davies, who had raced forward and struck from the edge of the box.

Leicester's first real chance of the second period arrived midway through the half, with Nugent finding half a yard inside the Bolton box, before shooting into the side netting from a narrow angle.

After the ball failed to come down for Mark Davies on 69 minutes, the visitors immediately broke straight down the other end of the field, but Waghorn's strike from distance was of little threat to Bogdan, who made another smart save.

Eagles was denied once again by Schmeichel with ten minutes remaining, leading to yet another counter-attack from Nigel Pearson's side. Nugent looked destined to score on this occasion, but with only Bogdan left to beat, Ricketts was alert enough to block the shot.

The pressure continued to increase, however, and Bogdan made another smart save just 60 seconds later, turning Knockaert's low drive behind after another short corner.

A section of the Leicester supporters thought their side had won the game in the final minute of normal time, only to be left disappointed as Andy King's 35-yard strike flashed inches wide of the post.

Two minutes of stoppage time passed without any event of note, with both sides having to settle for a goalless draw at the Reebok. After Leicester's dominant display in the opening 20 minutes of the game, combined with their late pressure on the Wanderers goal, Dougie Freedman would have been relieved to see his team take a point from the game.

Next up for Bolton is a trip to Blackpool on Saturday afternoon, with both sides looking to prove why they were considered the pre-season favourites for promotion.

Bolton Wanderers: Bogdan, Ricketts, Mills, Knight, Warnock, Chung-Yong (Petrov 71), Pratley, Andrews, Eagles (Afobe 81), M Davies, K Davies
Subs Not Used: Lynch, Mears, Ream, Sordell, Spearing
Booked: Ricketts, Pratley

Leicester City: Schmeichel, de Laet, Morgan, Keane (Moore 57), Konchesky (Schlupp 40), Knockaert, Drinkwater, King, Dyer, Nugent, Waghorn (Lingard 85)
Subs Not Used: Logan, Marshall, James, Futacs

Referee: Martin Atkinson
Attendance: 16,754

Sky Bet League One Standings

Pos Team Pld Pts
7 Plymouth Argyle 46 80
8 Oxford United 46 76
9 Bolton Wanderers 46 73
10 Portsmouth 46 73
11 Ipswich Town 46 70
View Full Standings >>


Who is Bolton's 2021/22 Player of the Year?
32.58% Oladapo Afolayan
30.96% Gethin Jones
21.72% Ricardo Almeida Santos
5.51% Declan John
4.05% Kieran Lee
3.08% MJ Williams
1.78% Joel Dixon
0.32% George Johnston