Hull City 3-1 Bolton Wanderers

  • September 01, 2012 | By Chris Mann
  • URL Short URL:

Bolton's miserable start to the season continues as they crashed to another defeat away from home, this time going down 3-1 to Hull City at the KC Stadium.

Wanderers made the perfect start, taking the lead on 17 minutes as Chris Eagles' 35-yard free-kick took a flick off a City defender and flew past the stranded Ben Amos in goal.

That lead lasted just 12 minutes, however, as Bolton failed to deal with a cross from Ahmed Elmohamady and Sone Aluko's shot came off Tim Ream, before looping over Adam Bogdan and into the net.

The two sides would go in level at the break, but two quickfire goals after the restart turned the game on it's head and would go on to secure victory for Steve Bruce's side.

Bogdan was at fault for the first, as he flapped at a corner, allowing former Bolton defender Abdoulaye Faye to put the Tigers in front. Stephen Quinn would add a third from close range three minutes later, as Wanderers slipped to their third successive away defeat of the new campaign.

Bolton boss Owen Coyle made six changes to the side that were dumped out of the Capital One Cup at Crawley Town in midweek, with Jay Spearing handed a debut in midfield as the visitors lined up in a 4-5-1 formation.

Hull started the stronger and twice came close to breaking the deadlock inside the opening 10 minutes of the game, with Jay Simpson heading wide, before a free-kick from Robert Koren flew narrowly wide of the target.

After surviving an early spell of pressure, Bolton soon pushed forward and Kevin Davies headed into the side netting, moments before Keith Andrews saw a deflected shot well held by Amos.

With 17 minutes gone, Wanderers took the lead in spectacular fashion. After placing the ball 35-yards from goal, Eagles stepped up to fire a free-kick through a host of bodies and into the back of the Hull net for his third goal of the season.

The game was being played at a pedestrian pace following that goal, but Hull bounced back to equalise just before the half-hour mark.

Elmohamady's cross from the right was only half cleared by Wanderers and Aluko fired the loose ball past a stranded Bogdan, who was beaten after the ball took a deflection off Ream.

Both sides seemed happy to take that score into the break, but they both came close to scoring in the final moments of the half.

First, Elmohamady's cross picked out an unmarked Simpson, who watched in disbelief as his header went inches wide of goal, before Eagles latched on to a through ball from Andrews, only to be denied by the quick thinking of Amos in the home goal.

Wanderers struggled to get going after the interval and found themselves a goal down within 60 seconds of the restart, with former Trotters defender Faye rising highest to nod Quinn's corner into the empty net after Bogdan had failed to claim.

Bolton's nightmare start to the second half went from bad to worse just three minutes later, as Simpson shrugged off the challenge of Ream, before cutting the ball back from the byline for Quinn to poke home from close range.

Coyle responded by introducing Benik Afobe in the place of Andrews, with the visitors opting to play with a 4-4-2 formation as the Arsenal loanee joined Kevin Davies in attack.

The change failed to have the desired impact and Bolton should have conceded again before the hour. In an almost carbon copy of his earlier goal, Faye rose highest to meet Quinn's corner, but this time the ball would hit both posts before being cleared to safety.

Wanderers would begin to push forward as the game entered the final 25 minutes, with Mark Davies being denied an almost certain goal by a superb last ditch challenge, before Afobe somehow shot wide of goal after being put clean through by Spearing.

Eagles fired over the top after attempting a repeat of his earlier goal, while substitute Marvin Sordell came inches away from pulling one back with a header that sailed inches wide of the target.

That was the best Wanderers had to offer, with Hull managing to hold possession and see the game out as Coyle's side slip to their third successive away defeat of the campaign.

Defeat leaves Bolton occupying 19th place in the Championship, with the Football League now set to take a two-week break due to the international schedule.

Wanderers return to action on September 15, when they host Gianfranco Zola's Watford at the Reebok Stadium.

Hull City: Amos, Chester, Faye, Bruce, Elmohamady, Dudgeon, Olofinjana, Quinn, Koren (McShane 88), Aluko (Evans 69), Simpson (McLean 90)
Subs Not Used: Oxley, Rosenior, Dawson, Proschwitz
Booked: Evans
Goals: Aluko 29, Faye 46, Quinn 49

Bolton Wanderers: Bogdan, Mears, Ream, Knight, Ricketts, Chung-Yong, Spearing, Andrews (Afobe 53), M Davies, Eagles, K Davies (Sordell 79)
Subs Not Used: Lonergan, Alonso, Mills, Petrov, Pratley
Booked: M Davies
Goals: Eagles 17

Referee: Christopher Sarginson
Attendance: 15,304

Sky Bet League One Standings

Pos Team Pld Pts
14 Charlton Athletic 21 26
15 Cambridge United 21 26
16 Bolton Wanderers 21 26
17 AFC Wimbledon 19 24
18 Lincoln City 20 21
View Full Standings >>


Who is Bolton's 2020/21 Player of the Year?
56.86% Ricardo Santos
17.79% Matt Gilks
10.64% Alex Baptiste
9.94% Eoin Doyle
2.52% Antoni Sarcevic
1.54% Gethin Jones
0.42% Nathan Delfouneso
0.28% Ryan Delaney