Blackpool 4-3 Bolton Wanderers

  • May 14, 2011 | By Chris Mann
  • URL Short URL:

Bolton fell to their eleventh defeat in twelve league games away from the Reebok Stadium as Blackpool ran out 4-3 winners at Bloomfield Road.

Kevin Davies gave Wanderers the lead with six minutes gone, capitalising on a lapse in concentration by Alex Baptiste before guiding a volley beyond Matt Gilks.

It didn't take the hosts long to respond though, as they were level just three minutes later when DJ Campbell held off Gretar Steinsson before looping the ball over the unrushing Jussi Jaaskelainen.

Jason Puncheon gave Blackpool the lead on 19 minutes with a curling effort from the edge of the box, only for Matt Taylor to pull the Trotters level five minutes later.

Campbell restored the home side's lead in first half stoppage time, prodding the ball beyond Jaaskelainen after being picked out by a superb ball from Charlie Adam.

Again, though, their lead wasn't to last long, with Daniel Sturridge heading home from close range eight minutes into the second half after Lee Chung-Yong had rounded the goalkeeper.

The game always looked like it had more goals and the final goal arrived just after the hour, with Adam completing a superb counter attack by firing into the top corner.

The scoreline was a repeat of the infamous 1953 FA Cup final, which featured the legendary figures of Nat Lofthouse and Stanley Matthews, and it was somewhat ironic that the same scoreline would be repeated on the day of the 2011 final.

Blackpool had the first real chance of the game with just five minutes on the clock, with Alex Baptiste sending the ball narrowly wide of the target from an Adam free-kick.

Bolton hit back immediately and after Paul Robinson's hopeful free-kick bounced inside the Blackpool box, Davies reacted smartly to steer a smart volley into the top corner and give the visitors the lead.

Sturridge saw a free-kick blocked two minutes later, before the home side hit straight up the other end, with Campbell holding off Steinsson before looping the ball over the head of Jaaskelainen and into the back of the Wanderers net.

Steinsson conceded a corner on 17 minutes, allowing Adam to whip a dangeous ball into the box. His corner hit Robinson and crashed off the underside of the crossbar and down on to the line. The home supporters appealed desperately for a goal, but the officials adjudged the ball not to have crossed the line.

It wasn't to matter, though, as the host took the lead just a minute later. Gary Taylor-Fletcher laid the ball off for Puncheon, who curled a superb strike into Jaaskelainen's bottom corner from the edge of the area.

The Seasiders should have been down to ten men on 21 minutes when Keith Southern went in to a challenge with Lee Chung-Yong. The Blackpool defender went in to the challenge with two feet, but referee Andre Marriner only produced a yellow card.

With just 24 minutes on the clock, Wanderers scored the fourth goal of the game to make it 2-2. Ricardo Gardner picked out the run of Taylor on the edge of the area and his early shot beat Gilks, going in off the post.

Bolton were back on the offensive three minutes later with Taylor playing Sturridge clean through, but the on-loan Chelsea forward was denied by Gilks, before Taylor fired the rebound into the stands.

A big talking point arrived on the half hour, with Zat Knight clashing with Taylor-Fletcher. The Blackpool man had gone to ground after conceding a foul, with Knight reacting by pushing his hand into his throat. Both players were booked, with Knight somewhat lucky to stay on the field.

The visitors came close to taking the lead five minutes before the break, only for Davies' long range chip to come back off the bar, with Gilks a beaten man.

There was to be another goal before the break though and it came in stoppage time, with Adam curling a cross to the back post for Campbell to steer inside the post and put the hosts back in front.

David Vaughan tested Jaaskelainen soon after as an entertaining first half of football ended with Ian Holloway's side ahead by three goals to two.

Blackpool thought they had been awarded a penalty within moments of the restart when Gary Cahill brought Taylor-Fletcher down inside the box, only for the officials to pull play back for an offside in the build up.

The Trotters went straight up the other end and Sturridge looked set to score after Chung-Yong had broken beyond the home defence, only to be denied by a superb last ditch challenge from Baptiste.

The same duo combined on 53 minutes, but this time the ball ended up in the net. Chung-Yong beat the offside trip to latch on to a through ball by Davies and he rounded Gilks before crossing for Sturridge to nod into the empty net and level the scores.

Taylor brought Gilks into a smart save with a free-kick just a minute later, before efforts from Davies and another Taylor strike flew harmlessly over the crossbar.

Gardner saw a shot blocked just after the hour, before Blackpool broke with a move which resulted in them taking the lead for the third time in the game.

After getting away from Gardner and Tamir Cohen, who had come on as a substitute for Fabrice Muamba, Adam played the ball out wide to Taylor-Fletcher, who cut inside and returned the ball for Adam to smash into the top corner.

Cahill saw a goalbound strike cleared moments later, before Sturridge's attempted lob was easily claimed by Gilks as Wanderers pressed for an equaliser.

A major talking point arrived in the 70th minute, with Taylor-Fletcher bringing Chung-Yong down on the edge of the box. Referee Mariner awarded a free-kick, but failed to produce what should have been a second yellow card for the Blackpool man, which would have reduced them to ten men.

The hosts saw appeals for a penalty turned down with ten minutes to go as Robinson clattered Campbell and, in truth, that was to be the final talking point of a highly entertaining game.

Despite picking up three points, Blackpool remain in the bottom three of the Premier League with just one game remaining, a trip to Manchester United next Saturday.

Bolton remain in ninth position after their fourth consecutive defeat and could still finish the season as low as 14th, depending on how results pan out over the course of the next week.

Blackpool: Gilks, Eardley, Evatt, Baptiste, Crainey, Southern, Adam (Cathcart 88), Vaughan, Taylor-Fletcher (Ormerod 82), Campbell, Puncheon (Beattie 81)
Subs Not Used: Kingson, Harewood, Phillips, Reid
Booked: Southern, Taylor-Fletcher
Goals: Campbell 9,45, Puncheon 19, Adam 63

Bolton Wanderers: Jaaskelainen, Steinsson, Knight, Cahill, Robinson, Chung-Yong, Muamba (Cohen 50), Gardner (Klasnic 78), Taylor, K Davies (Rodrigo 83), Sturridge
Subs Not Used: Bogdan, Petrov, Blake, Wheater
Booked: Knight, K Davies, Cahill, Robinson
Goals: K Davies 6, Taylor 24, Sturridge 53

Referee: Andre Marriner
Attendance: 15,979

Sky Bet League One Standings

Pos Team Pld Pts
13 Accrington Stanley 27 36
14 Charlton Athletic 27 33
15 Bolton Wanderers 26 32
16 Lincoln City 26 31
17 Cheltenham Town 27 31
View Full Standings >>


Who is Bolton's 2020/21 Player of the Year?
56.86% Ricardo Santos
17.79% Matt Gilks
10.64% Alex Baptiste
9.94% Eoin Doyle
2.52% Antoni Sarcevic
1.54% Gethin Jones
0.42% Nathan Delfouneso
0.28% Ryan Delaney