Home > Forum > Burnden Aces > Announcements & Feedback > Gary Megson Threads

Author Topic: Gary Megson Threads  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Manny

Gary Megson Threads
« on: 22 September 2009, 02:11 PM »
After receiving a few complaints from members about the recent state of the forum, can you please stop taking over every thread with your negative views of the management at the club.

I understand people's frustrations and their need to air their views, but it doesn't look good when the board is taken over and we won't want to end up like other forums, constantly giving warnings and/or closing the board.

There is nothing to stop you from creating threads about the manager, but try replying to threads already in place before starting a new one.

From now on, threads created under these conditions will only be closed and more likely than not, deleted.

I know some people claim we (mods) are going a bit OTT, but if you don't understand general forum rules, then you need to learn to get by or go elsewhere.

Deleted

« Reply #1 on: 22 September 2009, 02:14 PM »
Its your house and your rules in my opinion so if you want to do that its up to you and I think its the best solution for all involved to be honest.

Offline Sluffy

• Restricted Permissions
Re: Gary Megson Threads
« Reply #2 on: 22 September 2009, 02:37 PM »
I'd like to offer a compromise that may work.

It is clear that there is a huge amount of debate about Megson - not just on this site but on every site - and that the debate appears at every opportunity and almost any thread.

My suggestion (if this is possible) is to open another section of the forum called 'Megson' (or whatever you want to call it), where discussion (non libellous of course) can take place about people's view of 'him' rather than the team's performance, match results, team selection, etc, etc.

In that way we are providing a forum for reasoned debate to take place on Mr Megson's managerial capabilities where people can debate him to their hearts content - whilst allowing the rest of the forum to function normally.

I imagine there might be a bit of overlap at first between the 'Bolton' forum and the 'Megson' forum, but I think that will soon go as people get the hand about where they post - are they talking about the team in general or Megson in particular.

What do you think?

Deleted

« Reply #3 on: 22 September 2009, 02:45 PM »
I think a sticky would be sufficient , a whole area just for megson relation topics is just gloryfying the issue and really is allowing all these megson out clowns to succeed in taking over the place with megson related ramblings.

Online Jamster26

« Reply #4 on: 22 September 2009, 02:47 PM »
Sounds like a really good idea that Sluffy. At least then we dont have to read the same old thing over and over again!  8)

Offline Manny

« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2009, 02:53 PM »
Both Sluffy and Sharps have a point, but I'm leaning more towards Sharps side of things at the moment. A dedicated Megson board isn't really something I want to do as I can see it having a bad effect on the forum's reputation.

Of course it could work the other way round, but at the moment I'd much rather just have a thread in Reebok Rant, of which every post would be the echo of the last one!

Offline Sluffy

• Restricted Permissions
« Reply #6 on: 22 September 2009, 04:38 PM »
Well you are the boss Manny so what you says goes.

My reasoning of having a 'Megson' section is that there are simply too many comments about him swamping the forum and that a sticky would not work as there are so many subject areas that people want to cover - his team selections, his quotes in the media, his tactical nous and substitutions, his ginger hair - anything and everything really!

A dedicated board would at least attempt to keep all the debate about him in one areas and that the other remaining boards would get back to something like normal.

I'm not sure why you think a Megson board would have bad effect on the forums reputation?  The Megson board would be a facility for people to debate Megson the manager and not an opportunity for character assassination.  The board would be modderated to our normal high levels and any abusive posts would be removed an the posters of them if they can not abide by our forums rules - banned.

In fact such a forum would allow more pragmatic posters such as myself to even post in defence of Megson and allow some of us to fight back on his behalf.  Megson at the end of the day is simply a paid employee of a business and not the devil reborn!

I would think a managed debate about Bolton Wanderers manager would actually be an addition to this site rather than the Megson is s***e posted on every thread as there appears to be now.

Refusal to listen to the anti Megson feeling by deleting posts and locking threads simply will not make people think differently of Megson, an opportunity for counter argument and presentation of facts might.

As I said at the beginning though, it is your forum and your decision.

I would urge you though to make it quick before members begin to turn their backs on Burnden Aces because of this incessant diatribe against Megson and leave.

Offline jayjay23

« Reply #7 on: 22 September 2009, 08:49 PM »
QUOTE:

Sounds like a really good idea that Sluffy. At least then we dont have to read the same old thing over and over again!

if you see that its a megson thread you dont "have to read" it!!!

people who want to start a megson thread should be allowed to do so. there are new points to be made all of the time. interviews, matches, tactics, stats, general thoughts, developments, new thoughts, new people turning away from him etc... all things may be worth a new post...

eg. if you put all megson posts in one place and 10 people decided they were never going to look at it they may miss out on vital info in the ongoing debate, its not as though megson is not a related and contentious subject, it is the biggest subject around at the moment! 
anyway, so those ppl who miss the vital info may end up with an unbalanced view of the club and the manage based on what they know so far. 

what if megson said in interview "i am looking at playing our home games behind closed doors for the next few games because of the impact of the fans" and it was posted in the megson only bit.  wouldnt you like to know???

Offline DannyW

« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2009, 08:53 PM »
People arnt talking about different things are they though?

Its a case of people starting thread after thread that is exactly the same as the last and its absolutly pointless. The way we've been set up has worked for long enough so the fact that we're even having to consider changing that just cause a few people are incapable of following basic forum rules is pretty shocking in itself TBH.

Offline wakeywhite

« Reply #9 on: 22 September 2009, 10:31 PM »
Its a case of people starting thread after thread that is exactly the same as the last and its absolutly pointless.

Just wait til you've had a couple of weeks of Tim  :o

Offline Manny

« Reply #10 on: 23 September 2009, 01:10 AM »
if you put all megson posts in one place and 10 people decided they were never going to look at it they may miss out on vital info in the ongoing debate, its not as though megson is not a related and contentious subject, it is the biggest subject around at the moment!

Like what? If he had a shave this morning or if he dyes his grey hair to his natural ginger colour? The forum is getting poorer by the day and it's the minority who are spoiling the place for the majority.

Offline traf

« Reply #11 on: 23 September 2009, 08:48 AM »
if you put all megson posts in one place and 10 people decided they were never going to look at it they may miss out on vital info in the ongoing debate, its not as though megson is not a related and contentious subject, it is the biggest subject around at the moment!

Like what? If he had a shave this morning or if he dyes his grey hair to his natural ginger colour? The forum is getting poorer by the day and it's the minority who are spoiling the place for the majority.

Spot on, Manny.

The overwhelming negativity is ruining your forum.

Deleted

« Reply #12 on: 23 September 2009, 11:46 AM »
QUOTE:

Sounds like a really good idea that Sluffy. At least then we dont have to read the same old thing over and over again!

people who want to start a megson thread should be allowed to do so. there are new points to be made all of the time. interviews, matches, tactics, stats, general thoughts, developments, new thoughts, new people turning away from him etc... all things may be worth a new post...

eg. if you put all megson posts in one place and 10 people decided they were never going to look at it they may miss out on vital info in the ongoing debate, its not as though megson is not a related and contentious subject, it is the biggest subject around at the moment! 
anyway, so those ppl who miss the vital info may end up with an unbalanced view of the club and the manage based on what they know so far. 

what if megson said in interview "i am looking at playing our home games behind closed doors for the next few games because of the impact of the fans" and it was posted in the megson only bit.  wouldnt you like to know???

Stop trying to rock the boat you little w***er , you are only trying to mess this board up because nobody wanted to join your s***ty little effort of a forum.

Wether it be a new part of the site or a sticky something probably needs to be done because nobody wants to see a million and one megson threads.

Online Jamster26

« Reply #13 on: 23 September 2009, 12:00 PM »
QUOTE:

As Danny says it is all the same negative and boring tripe repeated over and over again. People arent going to join a forum where every single topic is related to Megson Out!

jimbo_bwfc

« Reply #14 on: 23 September 2009, 12:07 PM »
Manny, i've got 180 on this, i was against a anti-megson section, as it appears to be saying if you don't like Megson then your opinion is less valuable or something.

However, if people who want Megson out cannot keep to 1 or 2 articles about it and feel the need to clutter up your board with the same repetitive stuff then i think that an anti megson sticky would be the only way to go.

There are only five or six people(max) who are failing to follow your rules.(Only 3 or 4 from the bwfc official forum so i hope we aren't being credited with the downfall of your site(although i still personally think it's the best one out there)

Offline Manny

« Reply #15 on: 23 September 2009, 08:24 PM »
I'll admit Jimbo, I wasn't too keen on you at first after the whole issue of the Prediction League, but now it's over and done with, I've realised not all you old BWFC forum guys are that bad. Just a few of you.

As for these Megson threads, I've weighed up the options and the board will stay as it is. If you want to talk about the manager, fine, but if pointless threads are being made about him, they'll just go. Keep making them and members accounts will be reviewed. I guess some of you will just have to kick the habit. There are other things to life than Gary Megson people!